PDA

View Full Version : Table columns

Mobyturns
25th June 2014, 09:22 PM
One for Chuck1 as we don't see a lot of large spindle turned pieces. Table columns not legs as there were only two required for a twin pedestal base table. The almost 180 mm sq column blanks were prepared by Nathan Brown using new guinea rosewood and laminated up from four 180 x 45 mm boards using AV Syntec AV515 glue, then machined into an octagon before I took over the baton for the turning. Normally I do not trust another's glue ups but I trust Nathan's work as he is master craftsman like with his skills in joinery. Lathe is a '92 Woodfast M908 with the M910 EVS retrofitted. This shot was taken as I compared hand turned profiles from a template before I faired the profiles.

Base is LHS and eventually ended up in a table for a client in Mackay something like the attached photo grabbed from a Google search.

hughie
25th June 2014, 11:25 PM
I started out with spindle turning years ago it never caught my attention as much as what I do now. The up side you get to learn how use a skew.... or should :)

Mobyturns
26th June 2014, 09:34 AM
I started out with spindle turning years ago it never caught my attention as much as what I do now. The up side you get to learn how use a skew.... or should :)

Hughie, give me a skew or a spindle gouge any day over a bowl gouge. :U I love all forms of turning however the discipline required for good repetitive spindle turning has always captured my attention. That's why I love seeing Chuck1's work and other spindle turners world wide like Rassmus Petersen for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtSmv__vfwc

chuck1
26th June 2014, 11:18 AM
That is impressive mobyturns! It would smell good! I like to be present when timber is being glued up for me to turn. I have been given dodgey glue ups before today! Matey that glued up the ng Rosewood did a great job!
and wow thats a nice compliment Moby! Thankyou! I have had people dismiss me as a Trade qualified wood turner, it's nice people like yourself appreciate the spindle turning!

Mobyturns
30th June 2014, 07:49 AM
That is impressive mobyturns! It would smell good! I like to be present when timber is being glued up for me to turn. I have been given dodgey glue ups before today! Matey that glued up the ng Rosewood did a great job!
and wow thats a nice compliment Moby! Thankyou! I have had people dismiss me as a Trade qualified wood turner, it's nice people like yourself appreciate the spindle turning!

Some minor grain tear out but nowhere near vwhat resulted from the machining. I've watched Nathan work in his shop many times so I knew his skill & attention to detail, plus the quality & dryness of the timber. One thing that did concern me was just how much the NGR lamination moved / worked as stress was relieved during the turning process even though Nathan layed up the lamination well with grain complementing as much as possible.

The fragrance was tending to be overpowering with so much shavings about.

Give me a tradie spindle turner day - love their proficiency, speed & accuracy by eye. I love watching Anthony (Tony) Hansen work - economy of movement down to a fine art.

Have you seen the Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1970-1990 collection in the Museum of Victoria?

Christos
1st July 2014, 10:32 AM
Thank you for posting this Moby.

chuck1
1st July 2014, 05:43 PM
Some minor grain tear out but nowhere near vwhat resulted from the machining. I've watched Nathan work in his shop many times so I knew his skill & attention to detail, plus the quality & dryness of the timber. One thing that did concern me was just how much the NGR lamination moved / worked as stress was relieved during the turning process even though Nathan layed up the lamination well with grain complementing as much as possible.

The fragrance was tending to be overpowering with so much shavings about.

Give me a tradie spindle turner day - love their proficiency, speed & accuracy by eye. I love watching Anthony (Tony) Hansen work - economy of movement down to a fine art.

Have you seen the Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1970-1990 collection in the Museum of Victoria?
I can honestly say I have not turned my Rosewood laminated to that size! I have had red cedar move while turning very annoying!
does Mr Hansen still turn his forest flowers? I think he used to have a workshop in Goulburn, if it's the same fellow!

I have seen the Adolph bruhn collection after seeing your link!