PDA

View Full Version : What is a triple S lathe

Steamwhisperer
29th June 2014, 09:23 PM
Hi all,
I have been asked by a mate who is doing the history of an engineering firm.
The list of contents in the shop in 1909 has listed a S.S.S. Lathe.
This lathe hails (obviously) from pre 1909 and is listed as an 8" S.S.S. lathe.
I can't for the life of me think what the three s' mean
Also listed was an S.C. lathe which I assumed was Screw Cutting.
Later in the inventory they had a quantity of 10, S.S.S., so the triple s' may be what the lathe was built to machine or make.
Any ideas??

Phil

wbleeker
29th June 2014, 10:03 PM
Maybe sliding,surfacing and screwcutting? I have seen sliding and surfacing on lathes before
Will

Steamwhisperer
29th June 2014, 10:33 PM
Maybe sliding,surfacing and screwcutting? I have seen sliding and surfacing on lathes before
Will

Thought about that Will but later on in the inventory they had a quantity of 10 S.S.S.

Phil

shedhappens
29th June 2014, 10:54 PM
g/day Phil, I'll have a punt.....

Selig Sonnenthal Lathes
- "The Sundale" -

http://www.lathes.co.uk/seligsonnenthal/page3.html

shed

RayG
29th June 2014, 11:01 PM
Hi Phil,

I've seen references to Sheraton SSS lathes, Cincinnatti SSS Lathes and Other brands, so it's a type of lathe.. rather than a brand.

I'm going to hazard a guess at SSS == Single Speed Spindle.. or maybe.. Selectable Spindle Speed...

In lathes.co.uk they mention the following...

MA445A ADCOCK and SHIPLEY No. 1 Models A, AA, AB, Ad, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, N, P, and J with feed arrangements LSL, LLL, SSS, G, J, AH and M, etc. (these may appear on the machine plate ) Horizontal Miller: Maintenance and Operator's Instruction Manual. Includes three versions of the Technical Sales and Specification Catalogue.£45

Which might indicate that SSS refers to some kind of feed arrangement?
Ray

Steamwhisperer
29th June 2014, 11:38 PM
Hi Ray,
I wonder if the inventory list that listed 10 S.S.S.( without any reference to a lathe) was just a coincidence.
They were listed about two lines under the lathe.
The inventory list is a probate list as one oh the partners had died.
The company made everything from boilers to steam engines and every nut, bolt and valve in between.
Either that or everyone knew what the three S' meant around the 1900's
Kinda like 'IMHO' Most people know what that stands for.

Phil

RayG
29th June 2014, 11:46 PM
Hi Ray,
I wonder if the inventory list that listed 10 S.S.S.( without any reference to a lathe) was just a coincidence.
They were listed about two lines under the lathe.
The inventory list is a probate list as one oh the partners had died.
The company made everything from boilers to steam engines and every nut, bolt and valve in between.
Either that or everyone knew what the three S' meant around the 1900's
Kinda like 'IMHO' Most people know what that stands for.

Phil

1900's text speak.. :D

This is from the Argus 25 November 1922, I picked it because it list three different types of S.S.S Lathe...

Still looking

Ray

Ueee
30th June 2014, 12:23 AM
The one that comes straight to mind is Slightly shop soiled...not really a help

I have found all sorts of interesting acronyms for SSS. Some i cannot mention here.....i did like Shoot, Shovel and shut up though!

Sliding, surfacing and screw cutting i have seen as SS&SC in older literature.

A reference from our own site http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=17814

Ew

PS, congrats on the house news Phil!

RayG
30th June 2014, 12:42 AM
It seems to be an older term... at least more common pre WW2... I wonder if it's Six Speed Spindle.. 3 section flat belt pulley and back gearing.

Aha... Got it... Will (wbleeker) was almost on the money... just missed on the "self-acting" part.

it's Self-acting Sliding & Screwcutting.. :D You could throw in Surfacing and Boring sometimes

Joseph Whitworth exhibited at 1862 exhibition..

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=318339&d=1404052477

"Self-acting" as a term has faded out, now-a-days, it would be replaced by "Automatic" or more currently Power Feed..

Ray

RayG
30th June 2014, 01:46 AM
Here's another which confirms Self-acting Sliding Screwcutting. sometimes, I've also seen Self-acting Sliding Surfacing

Another way of saying it in todays language would be Automatic Carriage and Cross Slide, or Power Feed Carriage and Cross Slide... Or Just... S.S.S.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=318340&d=1404053153

Ray