PDA

View Full Version : Tenon Saw Remodel

code4pay
29th June 2014, 09:51 PM
So I picked up a rusty dog ugly modern Spear and Jackson tenon saw from the local tip a few weeks ago and during a project this weekend (building a Chris Schwarz saw bench) I need a rip style tenon saw to rip the long cheeks of the tenon for the leg braces. My existing Diston saw did not have enough saw plate on it to do the job depth wise so I quickly cleaned the rust off the blade of my tip find and gave it a quick sharpen and it did the job admirably. I thought I could add it to my saws in the till but just couldn't get past the looks, I've remodeled a few panel saw handles but never a tenon saw and the modern ones are so far from the traditional style I wasnt sure how it would go. But a lot of material removal later and I'm pretty happy with the result.

http://imgur.com/a/8JWgp

planemaker
30th June 2014, 12:09 AM
You did a fine job with that handle. Well done.

Stewie;

burraboy
30th June 2014, 07:39 AM
Well done! I have one along similar lines myself that may well get a similar treatment.

code4pay
30th June 2014, 08:36 AM
You did a fine job with that handle. Well done.

Stewie;
Thanks Stewie, It was quite a surprise that it came up as good as it did considering the starting point.

code4pay
30th June 2014, 08:38 AM
Well done! I have one along similar lines myself that may well get a similar treatment.
Yes do it, It makes such a difference to how the saw feels and how you feel about the saw. I managed to complete it in the time it took the wife to watch a video so not a huge investment for the transformation.

orraloon
30th June 2014, 01:55 PM
A huge improvement. I have one that needs that treatment too. Only been a couple of years on the to do list.
Regards
John

Simplicity
30th June 2014, 09:22 PM
What a great result from ugly duckling to swan in no time

Andy Mac
1st July 2014, 09:18 PM
Really nice job, a huge improvement!:2tsup:

Cheers,
Andy

IanW
2nd July 2014, 09:20 AM
"Just take a lump of wood & knock off all the bits that don't look like a handle" :U

You've certainly made that mawkish thing on the end of your saw look like a handle. I'm convinced it's easier to cut straight when you have a handle that feels comfy in the hand, & if you like the look of it as well, it's a double bonus....

Cheers,

Ironwood
2nd July 2014, 10:57 AM
What a transformation, it would be a pleasure to use now.

I was given a modernish Diston that would benefit from a similar treatment, might have to give it some thought. :)

Sawdust Maker
2nd July 2014, 11:49 AM
Nice work :2tsup: