PDA

View Full Version : Mini chisels?

Evanism
30th June 2014, 08:02 PM
I've been asked to make some very small turnings, very similar to pawns on a chess board. Quite a few actually.

From the samples supplied, they are too tight for my regular chisels, regardless of how I turn them.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent set of mini-chisels?

Christos
30th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Not sure if this will help but one of our members at the wood turning club made some objects about the size of a 50cent piece. What he did to hollow out was to modify an Allen key.

smiife
30th June 2014, 08:47 PM
I've been asked to make some very small turnings, very similar to pawns on a chess board. Quite a few actually.

From the samples supplied, they are too tight for my regular chisels, regardless of how I turn them.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent set of mini-chisels?

Hi evanism,
I think you should be able to use regular size chisels
I was asked to make a chess set once and so far have
turn 1 pawn:o ! But I just used a skew chisel and It worked
OK, gently , gently!

issatree
30th June 2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Evanism,
If you have a surplus of, say 3/16in.-žin. Twist Drill Bits. HSS of course.
Drive them into Handles you can make, & leaving them in there. Grind a flat at about 25Deg., then round round off in a finger nail style. Called Skewchigouge. Got it from English Woodturning, No. 60 I think.
Maybe try a Google.
They cut like demons.
So simple & they work, & no Cost.

powderpost
30th June 2014, 09:40 PM
Instead of buying a set of miniature tools, I would be looking at standard tools but buy the smaller sizes. Have a look at McJings or Carbatec web sites.

Jim

chuck1
30th June 2014, 10:29 PM
P&N make a 6mm gouge and works well and I made a quarter by quarter inch skew from mcjings tool steel! For lace bobbins, they have decent handles on them!

Evanism
1st July 2014, 12:26 AM
Many thanks to all for the leads

The little stands have some rather deep and curved coves. No matter how I turned my smallest skew, even with a special grind I couldn't match it.

The idea of the repurposed HSS drill bits is a good one! I so happen to have many and my 80 grit CBN wheel is looking for a victim. 1000 thanks Isatree!

They are to be copies of a prior turners work. Their job is first class. I've inherited the job as the original is no longer with us :(

hughie
4th July 2014, 10:07 AM
Failing that you can always buy some silver steel ie from Mcjings etc and make your own to suit. Its readily hardened in a bucket of water and a blow torch in the shed.

chucky
4th July 2014, 02:21 PM
Suggest you give Jim Carroll at CWS at ring. They have the Sorby mini chisels available. I have a set and several members of the Northern Woodturners all so use them.

dr4g0nfly
8th July 2014, 07:50 AM
Another useful idea is Masonary Nails, the hardened ones. They grind up into miniature tool great.