PDA

View Full Version : cheap gmc dust extractor - worth it?

chylld
22nd June 2005, 03:33 PM
saw this at bunnings today:

http://temp.jw.id.au/gmcdustextractor.jpg

i didn't get the model number or any specs from it (forgot) and it doesn't appear to be listed on gmc's homepage. but as you can see the price is ~$50.

is it worth it? i'd be using it with a router which is why i have my doubts. apparently a properly-sized dust extractor (like the units at carbatec timbecon etc.) with 4" port can't be used well with my router's 1" port, which is why i was looking for something smaller.

with a budget of $200 (please, don't suggest "spending just that little bit more") what should i do? should i build my own cyclone thingy and hook this gmc vac up to it?

Harry72
22nd June 2005, 08:49 PM
Ask the shop if you can turn it on and see how good it works and how loud it is?

dai sensei
22nd June 2005, 09:08 PM
Ask the shop if you can turn it on and see how good it works and how loud it is?
I'd agree.

I have seen GMC vacs before, but the one I saw was only 600W - even my house vacuum is 1600W and has more suck. I got an industrial 2000W secondhand from Godfreys for $30, they are always trying to get rid of their secondhand stuff cheap, so you might want to give them a call (if you have one near by) or some other vacuum mob.

bsrlee
22nd June 2005, 09:22 PM
Are you referring to the vacuum cleaner-like dust collector or the big one with dust bags top & bottom? GMC makes/has made both types.

The vacuum cleaner type - no trouble, one tool at a time only

The big sucker is supplied with adaptors for routers etc that use small 32-38mm pipe - it looks like it fell off a robotic cow. It can also be hooked up to a regular shop system, but if you try to use it thru a4" pipe system & connect a 38mm outlet, 2 'bad' things can happen - you may implode you pipes or the reduced volume of air will let the dust drop out in the 4" pipe & lead to clogging.

Dean
22nd June 2005, 11:04 PM
I've used this model (upcoming mag review).
I can't say much but I wouldnt recommend it for a vac to hook up to power tools. Its more useful for general shop clean up and only has small capacity and doesnt really come with many fittings or attachments.

There is a dedicated shop vac for power tools made by GMC (RDC50) but I think it is around the $250 mark, but certainly a much better option and will fit more tools out of the box, and has auto on/off function (a VERY handy feature in a shop vac).

paul.cleary
23rd June 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi,
I have this type of dust extractor for use with my portable sanding tools (ROS, orbital) and a router. Sanding becomes enjoyable and I can now do it without a face mask!!! and inside the house for renovations without my wife complaining about dust everywhere.
I do recommend spending the $ on a powerful machine with a good size dust collection bin (20 liters or more) and an automatic power plug on the machine (you plug the power tool into this plug and when you start/stop the power tool, the dust extractor starts/stops at the same time).
Great for your long term health,
Paul

chylld
24th June 2005, 11:58 PM
hi guys, thanks for the replies. sorry for not posting earlier, i wasn't getting any reply notification emails ><

i did manage to find more info on it, it's the RDC8L and it's got 500W of power. given that the 1200W unit only sucks 90 CFM, the RDC8L looks to not be the best when it comes to the router :( paul.cleary - how do you find it with your router?

Dean - do you think the RDC50 will work well with the R1200 router? that's really the only power tool i'll be using with it. the router eats 1200W, which is the max take-off capacity of the RDC50, so that should be ok. i guess i'm just a little concerned since i've both seen and felt the speed at which bits fly off from the bottom of the router.

another option i was entertaining was to get one of the big floor-standing 2-bag models and hook up a metal collection vent to it and place it under the table i'm doing the routing on... or would that not work?

Gumby
25th June 2005, 12:17 AM
chylld, mate.

you have said you have a limited budget and have been given some extremely good advice by others who have replied, take my tip - follow that and stop making it all sound so complicated. ;) Take dai sensei's tip and try the Godfreys option and you can't go wrong. It's much better than the GMC thing on special. Much better than spending $250 on a shop vac.

The 4" extractors are more for table saws, thicknessers etc. The hand held tools like sanders and routers are fine with a cheap, but powerful vacuum and a good cheap cyclone bucket either converted from a Triton bucket or made fromn other buckets as mentioned elsewhere in the forums. That's because the 4" systems move lots more air but at a slower speed than the narrower diameter vacuum type for hand tools.

mkb
25th June 2005, 01:51 AM
chylld,

I've just blown up my 2nd RDC50 today, using the Triton router :mad:

The first one lasted 18 months & the 2nd one 10 minutes..

I'm off the Godfreys next...

Dean
25th June 2005, 01:59 AM
chylld,

I've just blown up my 2nd RDC50 today, using the Triton router :mad:

The first one lasted 18 months & the 2nd one 10 minutes..

I'm off the Godfreys next...

You had the Triton Router connected to the RDC50 power outlet? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: If so, that's propbably why the RDC50's keeping blowing up.

Dean
25th June 2005, 02:01 AM
Dean - do you think the RDC50 will work well with the R1200 router? that's really the only power tool i'll be using with it. the router eats 1200W, which is the max take-off capacity of the RDC50, so that should be ok. i guess i'm just a little concerned since i've both seen and felt the speed at which bits fly off from the bottom of the router.

To answer this part... yes it would work fine.

chylld
25th June 2005, 09:29 AM
chylld, mate.

you have said you have a limited budget and have been given some extremely good advice by others who have replied, take my tip - follow that and stop making it all sound so complicated. ;) Take dai sensei's tip and try the Godfreys option and you can't go wrong. It's much better than the GMC thing on special. Much better than spending $250 on a shop vac.
thanks for the wakeup call :) yeh i got a bit carried away, i saw something that could have worked well so i investigated. godfrey's + cyclone seems to be the best :)

how do i hook up a 2kw vacuum and a 1.2kw router t the same time off the same powerpoint? my powerpoints only support 10A, do i need to buy something to allow it to run up to 15A?

Gumby
25th June 2005, 10:48 AM
Not being a 'sparky' I don't know. I follow the computer rule..........plug 'n play :D

Ive got a 12" TS and my 2HP DC on the same power point. As long as I turn them on separately. I've never had a problem. The shop vac and router are turned on separately as well. My power points and leads etc are just standard home stuff.

While you'rer at Godfrey's , check out the Pullman AS3 Vac (see photo). That's the one I have connected to my tools like the router, ROS etc. via a cyclone modified Triton Dust bucket (fixed on a 20L paint tin - also in photo). Absolutley brilliant, even sanding a new bench in the family room I got almost no dust anywhere. The Pullman is $199 but only $99 with a trade-in. If you ask properly, you'll get it for the $99. It's bagless and on castors so it is great for the workshop. I've never had any chips it it though because of the Triton in between, only a small amount of fine dust which i tap out occasionally.

chylld
29th June 2005, 05:33 PM
went to godfrey's, the best they could do for the AS3 was $149. is it still worth it at that price?

apart from the AS3 and a DIY cyclone, i don't have to consider anything else, do i? although i might get a sensing powerboard so that it starts up with the tool...

Wongo
29th June 2005, 05:49 PM
Bought this from Bunnings for $99 on Saturday. 1000w and is a good little machine to do small jobs in the workshop.

It is very noisy but I am very very happy with it. :)

Wongo
29th June 2005, 05:52 PM
Oh forget to say this "Dont touch GMC"

:)

Dean
29th June 2005, 06:00 PM
Wongo,

does it come with a variety of attachments to hook up to various tools, or you have to find/make your own?

Gumby
29th June 2005, 06:07 PM
went to godfrey's, the best they could do for the AS3 was $149. is it still worth it at that price?

apart from the AS3 and a DIY cyclone, i don't have to consider anything else, do i? although i might get a sensing powerboard so that it starts up with the tool...

In short I don't know. The Pullman is 1200-1400W and I'm really happy with it. Maybe they were on special here but they were definitely $199 and $99 with a so called trade-in. I offered to bring in my old vac but he wasn't interesed and so i got it for the $99.

Maybe try Wongo's solution or otherwise see what other vacs Godfrey's had. I know the shop here had quite a few for $69 and I was going to get one until I told the guy what it was for and he showed me the Pullman. I liked the way it was bagless and on wheels. Whatever, if you make up a cyclone, you won't get much dust in the vac anyay so you just want the biggest sucker you can get ! :D

I'd save my money on fancy powerboards until you get set up. Just turn them on individually for now - it's no hassle. Buy a nice tool instead. :)

LineLefty
29th June 2005, 06:10 PM
I just bought a nice dust collector too, although it's now 4inches shorter after a desparate search for bench dogs in a glue up.

Sorry..............!

Auld Bassoon
29th June 2005, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Gumby]Not being a 'sparky' I don't know. I follow the computer rule..........plug 'n play :D
QUOTE]

Hey Gumby, That's not "plug 'n play", that's "plug 'n pray"http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!
Steve B

Auld Bassoon
29th June 2005, 10:08 PM
Bought this from Bunnings for $99 on Saturday. 1000w and is a good little machine to do small jobs in the workshop.

It is very noisy but I am very very happy with it. :)
Hi Wongo,

I've one of these too, and it works just fine for shop clean-up and other small jobs. As well, I've made up a rig to connect it to the top outlet of a DeWalt 621 which I have mounted on my Woodrat (as well as a 100mm DC connection out of the bottom of the W/R machine) - works a treat! And yes, it's a noisy bugger, almost as loud as the DeWalt or Bosch routers!

Cheers!
Steve B

mkb
30th June 2005, 12:13 AM
Steve B,

Any chance of some piccies of your woodrat setup? That's what I've got my Triton on & was using the GMC with :mad:
would be particularly interested in the DC hookup :)

chylld
30th June 2005, 01:05 AM
hey Wongo - seems like a nice unit, does it have a name? and does it have power take-off? i might just go have a look the next time i'm at bunnings :)

and lol @ gmc comment - i'm starting to learn that slowly hehe.

Gumby: yeh i did the same thing at godfrey's, looked at all the household vacs and then told the salesdude it was for a router and he showed me the wall of pullman's :) but yeh the sign said $199, $149 with trade-in, he said the $99 sale ended 4 weeks ago :( i told him if he could give it to me for $99, i'd take it right there, he went back to ask his manager but came out saying the best he could do was $149 :( but he seemed fairly honest.

and unsurprisingly he was totally baffled when i told him i was gonna hook the vac up to the router via a cyclone assembly... he just didn't respond lol :) blank look on his face and all.

i don't know what the rules are like on this forum, but please feel free to chat and post pics of anything related to dust extraction in this thread, i'm always keen to learn more. :)

outback
30th June 2005, 09:30 AM
i don't know what the rules are like on this forum AHHHM. thee are none.

For a thread to last this long without being hijacked completely is almost a record.

RufflyRustic
30th June 2005, 09:47 AM
My Dust Collection System is......
Am going to take Neil's advice and go to Godfrey's soon
cheers
RufflyRustic

Iain
30th June 2005, 10:01 AM
I know that one, southerly and rollers doors open each end :D :D :D

Wongo
30th June 2005, 11:05 AM
Dean,

It comes with the standard attachment only. I bought a high-density polyethylene hose for LV and I use it to connect to my Makita drop saw. It works extremely well. :)

Chy11d,
I think it is called shop-vac 18 pro or pro 18. It is a very powerful machine. It really sucks! :D Sorry! :D You don’t see them at Bunnings all the time. They usually put 20 – 30 of them next to the power tools section and will be sold out in a couple of weeks. Go and ask them.

Cheers :)

simon c
30th June 2005, 12:55 PM
I have one of the Shop-vacs too - they are a very common brand in the US. They are not bad for the money as the unit, but there is a big sting in the tail for replacement parts. Using the old Gilette razor trick - the unit itself costs $99 but if you buy a replacement dust filter, that'll cost you $60 on it's own.

bitingmidge
30th June 2005, 01:12 PM
I have one of the Shop-vacs too - they are a very common brand in the US. They are not bad for the money as the unit, but there is a big sting in the tail for replacement parts. Using the old Gilette razor trick - the unit itself costs $99 but if you buy a replacement dust filter, that'll cost you $60 on it's own.

Or about $12.00 AUD including postage from Lee Valley!
:eek: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=30033&cat=1,42401&ap=1

Cheers,

P

simon c
30th June 2005, 01:58 PM
I don't suppose Bunnings will honour the price-match

routermaniac
30th June 2005, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=Gumby]Not being a 'sparky' I don't know. I follow the computer rule..........plug 'n play :D
QUOTE]

Hey Gumby, That's not "plug 'n play", that's "plug 'n pray"http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!
Steve B
yep plug and PRAY, just like Microsloth Windows ;)

bitingmidge
30th June 2005, 03:30 PM
I don't suppose Bunnings will honour the price-match

Why not take a catalogue in a try??

:D :D :D :D

P

Gumby
30th June 2005, 03:42 PM
or maybe "prug and pray" :rolleyes:

chylld
30th June 2005, 03:44 PM
engrish for all! :P

kiwigeo
30th June 2005, 08:23 PM

Plug and gloat if youre on a Mac
:D

Zed
30th June 2005, 09:05 PM
I have a karcher connected to a triton dust bucket for the hand power tools and the drill press.

I have a 1 hp economy carba tec dustie for the roter table and sander and I an gunna get the 2hp carba tec dustie for the under and over. I may sell the 1 hp unit as space is a bit tight and I dont really need 2 - does anyone want a 1hp dustie ? less than a yr old and less than 10hrs work.

boban
30th June 2005, 09:13 PM
Hey monkey boy, there's a forum called BUY and SELL for that....

Zed
30th June 2005, 09:16 PM
yeah I know, I havnt seriously decided to sell it yet... I may just keep it to keep the amount ducting to a minimun....

boban
30th June 2005, 09:22 PM
If you've got the space its probably better to keep it, use it for all sorts of stuff like cleaning the floor, setting up a dust collection station when your routing something.

Its handy and seriously you wouldn't sell it for the money.

BTW has the beast arrived yet?

Phil Spencer
30th June 2005, 09:28 PM
saw this at bunnings today:

http://temp.jw.id.au/gmcdustextractor.jpg

i didn't get the model number or any specs from it (forgot) and it doesn't appear to be listed on gmc's homepage. but as you can see the price is ~$50.

is it worth it? i'd be using it with a router which is why i have my doubts. apparently a properly-sized dust extractor (like the units at carbatec timbecon etc.) with 4" port can't be used well with my router's 1" port, which is why i was looking for something smaller.

with a budget of $200 (please, don't suggest "spending just that little bit more") what should i do? should i build my own cyclone thingy and hook this gmc vac up to it?
I built my own for less than $30.00 it can suck the chroam off a tow ball.

Phil

Dovetails ?
30th June 2005, 09:39 PM
Phil, can you enlighten us on your $30 invention - some specs perhaps....

boban
30th June 2005, 09:42 PM
Dont just brag about it, tell us how you did it....looks pretty nifty.. start a new thread.

Phil Spencer
30th June 2005, 09:46 PM
Phil, can you enlighten us on your $30 invention - some specs perhaps....Used a through flow vacumme motor from an Electrolux ducted systen that I scrounged mounted it on top of a 13 Gal drum orignal pipe work was some old plumbing fittings since up graded with parts from a Godfreys sale. Inside I made up a filter that hangs inside its about 8" in dis and 12" long with a 3 micron filter fitted over the frame. Sorry there are no more specs I just built it.

There is an earlier thread on this and a fan that I made. I think it is Jigs and things around there.

Gumby
30th June 2005, 10:41 PM
I have a karcher connected to a triton dust bucket for the hand power tools and the drill press.

Why don't you follow the lead of the many posts in here and convert your Trion bucket to a mini cyclone ? It's cheap, easy and makes the whole thing so much more efficient it's ridiculous that Triton don't make a mod themselves.

Auld Bassoon
30th June 2005, 11:19 PM
Steve B,

Any chance of some piccies of your woodrat setup? That's what I've got my Triton on & was using the GMC with :mad:
would be particularly interested in the DC hookup :)
G'day Mkb,

Here you go!

By the way, do you use WR HSS bits, and if so, how do you find them?

I had used my Triton (and a Bosch GOF 1300 ACE) on the WR, but find the DeWalt the best all round (except for the ease of bit changing, which is a bit of a bugger with the various dust exctraction guards in place).

All in all, I find the WR to be a great piece of kt for box/dovetail/M+T joints etc, but prefer to use my (shop built) router table for edging/beading, etc. Any comments?

Cheers!
Steve B

Auld Bassoon
30th June 2005, 11:28 PM
Tell me about it!

I recently had to buy a replacement filter as the original had been dust reduced (read 'biffed') so many times that it was as tough as a wet paper bag in a hurricane :-/, but $59.95 was a bit of a blow (sorry!) as the whole unit was <$100 originally. Bugger. It does work pretty well though, even if you need ear protection with it onhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!
Steve B

Auld Bassoon
30th June 2005, 11:32 PM
:eek: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=30033&cat=1,42401&ap=1

Cheers,

P****Including*** postage?!?!?!??!
Bugger (favourite WOTN)http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Now I know where I'll be getting some replacements from...

Cheers!
Steve B

smallnails
1st July 2005, 02:15 PM
DONT BUY IT!!

GMC have the highest return rates out of all tool brands known to mankind!!

Ok Maybe Ozito have a higher return rate...............

But you would be better to go for something from Godfreys called a devilvac.......these things howl their head off and take some punishment!!

Smallnails

chylld
1st July 2005, 02:19 PM
GMC have the highest return rates out of all tool brands known to mankind!!
hehe yeah i heard the exact same thing from a bunnings employee :)

i own 2 gmc products, a jigsaw and a router. jigsaw needed a new laser assembly, returned to bunnings and fixed immediately. router can't get the screws off to fit a template on, but didn't bother with this as i prefer using template bits for that purpose anyway (so u can flush cut)

i was thinking of getting a gmc circular saw but given how dangerous that tool is i'd rather save up a bit and get a better one :) (e.g. maktec)

smallnails
1st July 2005, 02:25 PM
Did u just say Maktec?

For only a bit more you can get a quality product like a Makita or Hitachi 7 1/4 saw..for around only $200...........Forget Maktec dude they wont be around in a couple of years.......Makita have realised it was a mistake no doubt and will probably drop it soon.......Brand name dilution and all that.

Smallnails

Zed
1st July 2005, 03:33 PM
Boban, the beast has arrived.

I would do a mod to the triton but I couldnt be bothered (I will get around to it - to be frank - and i've already said this) I found sturdees instructions a bit hard to follow - when I get a chance I'll try to reinterpret it again and when I fail miserably (because im a clod) I'll give peter a call.

Sturdee
1st July 2005, 05:57 PM
Boban, the beast has arrived.

I would do a mod to the triton but I couldnt be bothered (I will get around to it - to be frank - and i've already said this) I found sturdees instructions a bit hard to follow - when I get a chance I'll try to reinterpret it again and when I fail miserably (because im a clod) I'll give peter a call.

Zed,

Just let me know and I'll see if I can clarify it more.

Peter.

Gumby
1st July 2005, 06:14 PM
Thought for the day.............

Is it possible that they will have found a cure for wood dust infections before chylld buys his vacuum ? :D :D :D

mkb
2nd July 2005, 07:25 PM
Steve B,

Thanks for the pics. It looks like you cut into the base of the alu casting :confused: if so you are a braver man than me.

I haven't used it much, I do have a set of woodrat bits, broke a dovetail one doing a sliding dovetail :o so am looking to connect some decent dust/chip extraction before tempting fate with any other HSS bits, I still use the router table for most things but am making some test corners when I find time (if anybody has some spare send it my way) and suitable scraps.

Mark

Gumby
2nd July 2005, 07:41 PM
Steve B,

I haven't used it much, I do have a set of woodrat bits, broke a dovetail one doing a sliding dovetail :o

Mark

Assuming you broke the bit because there was too much pressure on it when taking out the amount of wood that a dovetail cuts into and you can't take shallow cuts and keep raising the bit gradually with a dovetail like you can with a straight cutter. Try using a narrow straight bit first to get a fair amount of timber out of the slot, then run the dovetail bit through. (providing of course that the straight cutter is smaller than the narrow end of the dovetail.)

mkb
2nd July 2005, 08:27 PM
Gumby,

The bit I broke has a very narrow shank(?) I don't own a straight bit that is that narrow, otherwise...

I think I need to get the feel for the crank handle :D on the woodrat that is :eek:

chylld
5th July 2005, 12:08 AM
Thought for the day.............

Is it possible that they will have found a cure for wood dust infections before chylld buys his vacuum ? :D :D :D
hahaha :)

well i'm taking the advice from this thread and sticking a regular vacuum cleaner to a cyclone, which is even cheaper than i thought because my parents still have their old one lying around, and are letting me use that. it obviously isn't as durable as a pullman, but it's free! hehe.

re maktec - yeh sounds like i'll hold off on that one. i know i must seem like a hesitant buyer, but really, ... well i am actually. :D

i have learnt a heck of a lot though, i'm glad everyone here actually bothered to say what they said, and didn't tell me to "go do a search already" :)

Wongo
13th September 2005, 10:52 AM
They are not bad for the money as the unit, but there is a big sting in the tail for replacement parts. Using the old Gilette razor trick - the unit itself costs $99 but if you buy a replacement dust filter, that'll cost you $60 on it's own.

Simon, I know what you were saying now. I saw the filters at Bunxxxxx last night and they are $56 each. That is 56% of the cost of the whole unit.

I brought one back from the US and it is only US$12. Hmm... something is not right here.

rick_rine
28th September 2005, 01:11 AM
Used a through flow vacumme motor from an Electrolux ducted systen that I scrounged mounted it on top of a 13 Gal drum orignal pipe work was some old plumbing fittings since up graded with parts from a Godfreys sale. Inside I made up a filter that hangs inside its about 8" in dis and 12" long with a 3 micron filter fitted over the frame. Sorry there are no more specs I just built it.

There is an earlier thread on this and a fan that I made. I think it is Jigs and things around there.

I could say here that my scroll saw is my dust collector but I wont .

Phil would this idea work on a 300mm thicknesser you think , and any clearer link to your plans ? I've got a 1200w vacuum cleaner lying around .
Rick

Harry72
28th September 2005, 02:51 AM
I dont think a little vacuum cleaner will be good enough to draught a thicknesser... they are ok for smaller tools that have the dust port right near the cutter/blades. A thicknesser needs a fair amount of air movement to overcome this, remember its draugthing a 300mm wide area!

Phil Spencer
28th September 2005, 09:17 AM
I could say here that my scroll saw is my dust collector but I wont .

Phil would this idea work on a 300mm thicknesser you think , and any clearer link to your plans ? I've got a 1200w vacuum cleaner lying around .
Rick

I agree with Harry72 A vacuum cleaner motor will be OK for the floor and small power tools the extra capacity of a dust collector will be better for your thickener Rick.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>

Phil Spencer<o:p></o:p>

Picture of me home made vacuum<o:p></o:p>