PDA

View Full Version : Nova Compac Pin Jaws

WoodWriteOz
3rd July 2014, 04:20 PM
does anyone know where I can get a set of Pin jaws for a Nova Compac Chuck: I know that teknatool phased tis Chuck out sometime ago but it is a great little chuck which I can put to further good use with a set of these Jaws...

artme
3rd July 2014, 07:14 PM
If that is the small scroll chuck with the two tommy bars used to close it, then I have the same chuck.

A set of pin jaws fits this as well as the other Nova - Teknatool - chucks. You can buy the set from Carbatec.

issatree
3rd July 2014, 08:05 PM
Hi WWO,
I wood like to see you buy the Jaws with the 2 Holes per Jaw, but not keen on the 1 Hole Jaws, as they tend to spread after awhile.

Mobyturns
4th July 2014, 09:15 AM
Try Timberly in NZ, Terry Scott may know where to get them.

RoyG
4th July 2014, 09:31 AM
does anyone know where I can get a set of Pin jaws for a Nova Compac Chuck: I know that teknatool phased this Chuck out sometime ago but it is a great little chuck which I can put to further good use with a set of these Jaws...

Try posting a Wanted to Buy advertisement on the Market Place / Auctions on this web site. You never know - someone may have what you're after laying around their workshop waiting for a new owner ....

Best of luck,

Roy

WoodWriteOz
4th July 2014, 01:01 PM
Thank you all for your prompt responses and helpful hints....Carbatec in Perth say they are a popular item....which surprised me as the Chuck itself is no longer in production.....they will have some in Stock next week and as I will be up there on grandfather duty I will take the Chuck with me just to be sure. Meanwhile I will contact Terry Scott just to be on the safe side. I did try Jim Carroll who was helpful as always but can't get any and teknatool are deafening in their silence...George

NCPaladin
4th July 2014, 07:26 PM
I believe Issatree is correct that some have 2 screw holes and others only one. They are different jaws.

I have the PIN jaws which are one screw hole. They are made to work as a Pin Chuck; drill a 1" diameter hole about 1.5" deep, insert and expand. I use mine a lot for work up to 12" diameter. They have a small spigot (the same as the 25mm bowl jaw). I would use the 25mm bowl jaws if the spigot is close the 1" maximum. They hold small items in spigot mode fine for me without flexing.

Nova also has PEN jaws which have two screw holes. Pen jaws also have only two jaws instead of four. People say they work great but with only two jaws have limited use IMHO, mainly gripping small square stock. Having only two jaws the Pen jaws are made stouter than the Pin jaws.