PDA

View Full Version : Redgum and Bloodwood burl bowls

turnerted
4th July 2014, 10:40 AM
G'day
Here's a couple of bowls iv'e finished recently.
First a redgum burl bowl 360mm x 65mm and the inner bowl 250mm x 35mm.This was possibly the hardest lump of wood Iv'e ever turned.I was sharpening three bowl gouges at a time and only getting about four passes from each before resharpening but I think the effort was worth it.
Second a bloodwood burl 360mm across the widest part of the wing x 110mm deep.This was the first time Iv'e turned this type of burl,much softer than the usual burls I turn and I ended up with a fairly rough finish due to all the gum veins.Not sure if I like this, but my wife thought it was great.What do you think?
Both bowls were finished with DO.The bloodwood soaked up the first coat like a sponge and I had to wait several days before I could apply the following coat.
C& C welcome.
Ted

Hermit
4th July 2014, 02:08 PM
G'day
Here's a couple of bowls iv'e finished recently.
First a redgum burl bowl 360mm x 65mm and the inner bowl 250mm x 35mm.This was possibly the hardest lump of wood Iv'e ever turned.I was sharpening three bowl gouges at a time and only getting about four passes from each before resharpening but I think the effort was worth it.
Second a bloodwood burl 360mm across the widest part of the wing x 110mm deep.This was the first time Iv'e turned this type of burl,much softer than the usual burls I turn and I ended up with a fairly rough finish due to all the gum veins.Not sure if I like this, but my wife thought it was great.What do you think?
Both bowls were finished with DO.The bloodwood soaked up the first coat like a sponge and I had to wait several days before I could apply the following coat.
C& C welcome.
Ted

Both are beautiful Ted. Well done. :2tsup:
(I agree with your wife - I like the second one best.)

chuck1
4th July 2014, 07:41 PM
I was abit unsure of the natural edge side view! After seeing top view, wow nice turning! They are a great collection of bowls! Great work!

Willy Nelson
4th July 2014, 08:05 PM
Nice looking burls there, Well Done
Willy
Jarrahland

mick59wests
4th July 2014, 08:27 PM
Ted,

both excellent and I also like the bloodwood one best.

Out of interest, where did you get the burl? I must have more than 50 mature bloodwood trees but have only seen one with a burl!

cheers

Mick

SNAFU11
5th July 2014, 07:28 AM
Burls are my favorite although i have not turned any myself....They look beautiful Ted:2tsup:

Mick!!!

Bluegum
5th July 2014, 09:41 PM
Both look amazing. Great work:2tsup:

turnerted
7th July 2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Mick.I was told the bloodwood burl came from Dorrigo district.I believe there are quite a few species that go under the common name of bloodwood.
Ted