PDA

View Full Version : Screwtop boxes

turnerted
4th July 2014, 10:55 AM
G'day
Here's a few of my latest batch of screwtop boxes in olive,ironbark and magnolia.They are all about 70mm high by about 60mm diam.The finish is EEE and Shellawax on the inside and DO on the outside.The magnolia wood is not very inspiring so I put a coolabah insert in one and "ebonised" the lid of another with Speedball.
Hope you like them.
Ted

jay h
4th July 2014, 11:19 AM
Hi TT, love the Olive box just a bit more than the Ironbark. Shape and finish looks good in all of them, but I agree with your comments on the magnolia. My question what is speedball the ebonising looks good. Jay

hughie
4th July 2014, 02:04 PM
Great looking collection Ted

Hermit
4th July 2014, 02:05 PM
Some great looking boxes, Ted. Very nice. :2tsup:

Thread chasing is something I've yet to try. I'll have to find myself a threading tool and give it a go sometime. It doesn't look easy.

Like Jay, I'd be interested to know what 'speedball' is, too. I do a bit of ebonising from time to time, but use the vinegar/steel wool method. Works well, but you have to select the timber carefully for a high tannin level or add tannic acid to the timber first, (Tanivin, used for purifying wine.)
I'm always keen to learn new methods.

turnerted
4th July 2014, 05:08 PM
Speedball is an india ink for caligraphy.
I have also used a black Tombow pen and Feast Watson Prooftint.All are easier to use than the traditional acid/steelwool and in my hands give a better result.
I have just started a comparison test and will post the results when finished.
Ted

powderpost
4th July 2014, 10:01 PM
They all look nice Ted, :2tsup: still haven't used that bit of cottoneaster, but it will happen soon.. :wink:
Jim

dougturner
4th July 2014, 10:13 PM
turnerted, the boxes look great. Hope to see them at Show & Tell tomorrow. Doug. :U

SNAFU11
5th July 2014, 07:24 AM
Very nice indeed Ted....:2tsup:

Mick!!!

turnerted
7th July 2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Ted

tea lady
7th July 2014, 05:06 PM
Cool. :cool::2tsup: