PDA

View Full Version : Any tips of segment turning? (/segment cutting sled for TS)

VikingCode
4th July 2014, 02:38 PM
On wednesday we (the wife and I) got a new lathe, a big step up in power and size from the mini lathe we have. It'll be relegated to spindle/pen turning, as for those tasks its excellent.

One of the things we've both been looking forward to with a larger lathe is trying segmented bowls/vessels/round-thingies, so yesterday I finished up a sled for cutting segment pieces. 10 sided for now, fence is replaceable so I can get different angles in a simple-stupid-repeatable manner.

First ring (which is really a test ring) is done (not glued up), and I'm liking how it is coming together already. Some light sanding might be needed to make sure there are no gaps, we'll see.

Any gotchas I should know about before we get started with the actual turning part of the project?

Tangoman
5th July 2014, 08:05 AM
I bought some books from amazon on segmented turning which are full of information.

Segmented turning -a complete guide by Ron Hampton, this has excellent info on making cutting jigs

Segmented Bowls for the beginning turner by Don Jovag, this has good pictures and cutting lists for pattern strips.

The jig you've made looks good, I would suggest making it adjustable for angle. I'll take a photo of my adjuster for you as it's really simple and cheap to make. It's a length of studding running through two T-nuts and a block of wood. It allows me to adjust angles for a spot on fit.

Ive only made test rings so far due to lack of time ! Look forward to seeing your work !,

Regards,Cam

VikingCode
5th July 2014, 09:07 AM
I bought some books from amazon on segmented turning which are full of information.

Segmented turning -a complete guide by Ron Hampton, this has excellent info on making cutting jigs

Segmented Bowls for the beginning turner by Don Jovag, this has good pictures and cutting lists for pattern strips.

Cheers - the front cover of Don Jovags book looks awesome, I think that will go on the purchase list because they patterns look great.

The jig you've made looks good, I would suggest making it adjustable for angle. I'll take a photo of my adjuster for you as it's really simple and cheap to make. It's a length of studding running through two T-nuts and a block of wood. It allows me to adjust angles for a spot on fit.

Its semi adjustable! I put up a video on the build process (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFgDpx5hjs), but the basic idea is each fence is set at a particular angle, is locked in with a dowel at one end and a bolt at the other. Want a different angle? Make a new fence, create a new dowel hole. It makes it set and forget, and hopefully will encourage to the wife to try the tablesaw.

chuck1
5th July 2014, 06:01 PM
Sharp blades help!

Evanism
19th July 2014, 12:13 PM
Segmented wood turning by Malcolm Tibbetts.

Extremely excellent book.

doug3030
19th July 2014, 01:10 PM
Segmented wood turning by Malcolm Tibbetts.

Extremely excellent book.

:iagree:

powderpost
19th July 2014, 06:34 PM
First ring (which is really a test ring) is done (not glued up), and I'm liking how it is coming together already. Some light sanding might be needed to make sure there are no gaps, we'll see.

Any gotchas I should know about before we get started with the actual turning part of the project?

If you do a search for threads started by Powderpost you will find quite a few tips and ideas.

Jim