PDA

View Full Version : Slab vs Stumps

JamesD
22nd June 2005, 09:37 PM
Am considering an extension (2 bedroom, hall, storage and bathroom) off my house. Lowset cottage.

All told I guess the total coverage will be c.35m2 sinle floor.

Land is flat as a tack. Assuming that soil test comes back favourably for either, can anyone offer me a rough guide as to the rough costs of one against the other? A general sqm rule etc.

Am going to carpet thruout so will just chipboard floor. Main reason i ask is that my knowledge of concrete stretches no further than setting fence posts.

I am guessing that stumps would be way cheaper than a pour etc? Am i right?

Cheers

ozwinner
22nd June 2005, 09:45 PM
If you are going to shoot a bradding nail through your thumb, make sure you miss the bone

Mate with a signature like that I wouldnt tackle it.

Al :eek:

bitingmidge
22nd June 2005, 10:12 PM
I am guessing that stumps would be way cheaper than a pour etc? Am i right?

James,

I haven't done the sums in quite a while, but I'll bet my bottom dollar the project home boys have.

When was the last time you saw an el-cheapo project home on stumps?

Cheers,

P
:D

tcns
22nd June 2005, 10:43 PM
James,

I haven't done the sums in quite a while, but I'll bet my bottom dollar the project home boys have.

When was the last time you saw an el-cheapo project home on stumps?

Cheers,

P
:D
True, but .....

I have given this a bit of thought and here is what I have come up with

1. Termite protection - easier to guarantee with stumps
2. Engineers - don't know if a stump plan would be cheaper than a slab inspection - what do you think?

Tom

Cliff Rogers
22nd June 2005, 10:44 PM
& what about all those 'poured slab wall' warehouses that are springing up like weeds?

numbat
22nd June 2005, 10:56 PM
& what about all those 'poured slab wall' warehouses that are springing up like weeds?
You mean industrial slums - I first saw these in the US about 15 years ago - but they seem to have found their way over here.

Cheers

Metung
23rd June 2005, 12:08 PM
I'm about to have a slab poured which I intend polishing myself - 182 sqm which includes 45sqm garage (not polishing the garage). The specs for the slab are pretty severe because of the polishing - coloured, 32MPa concrete, RF81 mesh, extended curing period etc, and its in the country so the cost is probably at the high end which will be $180/sqm.

I'm hoping for a great looking floor that will be practically maintenance free for a lifetime and will be extremely easy to keep clean as well as providing thermal mass. Although probably a little more expensive than a polished timber or carpet floor, depending on quality of those floors, I think it is well worth the added expense.

So I'm for the slab, and have a go at polishing it. I expect it to be a challenging and rewarding exercise.

Pulpo
24th June 2005, 04:54 PM
I still cannot find enough information on this subject.

But price wise, slab on ground has to be cheaper.

However if the slab cracks once the house is built then the piers will be much much cheaper.

I have seen the odd slab cracked.

At $180psm seems a bit too much.

Although not sure on polishing machine hire cost and the pads.

I like the idea of coloured concrete, but would be concerned in getting the right colour and that its in every room.

If the slab cracks once the house is built then the piers will be much much cheaper.

Regards

Pulpo

jackiew
24th June 2005, 05:41 PM
did a timber framing course earlier in the year and the two guys running the course were builders. There was a bit of discussion on the pros and cons of slabs and on the costs. And they agreed with one of the other posters - go and look at whatever is being done on the project homes because that will be whatever is currently cheapest.

one thing I do remember is they said that you should have your soil survey done first because that could turn up something which would make your decision for you. i.e. just because the land looks flat doesn't meant that there isn't a filled in dam or rubbish dump or whatever just waiting to triple your costs.

Another thing to think about in some areas is where the 100 year flood level is ( don't just think tsunami type floods, are you on the flat bit at the bottom of a valley ) - depending on where you're building you may need to be on stumps just to keep your insurance company happy.

Having a slab will give you thermal mass ( although covering it with carpet loses some of the benefits ). Having stumps gives you the benefit of somewhere to run your pipes and cables and may make it easier to change things in future years.