PDA

View Full Version : Ever lasting flower

chuck1
7th July 2014, 09:17 PM
Turned some flowers yesterday, no I wasn't in trouble! Saw them on u tube but did it my way! Also some file handles thanks for looking!

Pat
7th July 2014, 09:32 PM
Another turned thing on the ever increasing to do list!

Good work :U

chuck1
9th July 2014, 06:52 AM
They are relatively easy Pat I cut square stock to 65 long then drilled a 4mm hole half way in one end and a 25mm hole in the other.
then bandsawed the curves! Then the fun part! Turn a mandrel for 25mm hole then pop the blanks in then turn desired shape sand!
For the stems I cut them 200 long and turned them fairly thin and a 4 mm tennon on one end and sand!

Paul39
9th July 2014, 01:08 PM
Chuck1,

For ferrules on small handles I use 3/4 inch copper tubing. I make a snug slip fit and epoxy them on, shine with 400 grit on the lathe and then apply tung oil when I do the wood part.

I turn a piece of timber held in a chuck to a cone for the drive end, and use a 60 degree center on the tail end, put a piece of tubing between and notch deeply with a pointed tool, then finish with a fine tooth hack saw with the lathe stopped. I rough up the inside with 80 grit to clean and give some tooth for the epoxy.

I have a selection of salvaged heavy copper tubing for various sized handles.

Very nice flowers!!

turnerted
9th July 2014, 05:43 PM
I like to turn these flowers when I am demonstrating.I put them on the mandrel then drill a 2mm hole in the bottem with a hand held drill.I then shape the flower and give it to one of the audience to colour while I turn a plug to go in the mandril hole and colour it yellow.I then stick the plug in with CA glue and mount the flower on a kabab stick with a drop of CA then hand it over.Works best when you have a young girl to colour in for you.
Ted

Christos
10th July 2014, 12:15 AM
Well done on the flowers.

I like to turn these flowers when I am demonstrating.....

I would have liked to have seen how you did that but I was a little slow in getting to the stand that you were demonstrating on. It is on my list of things to try and make.