PDA

View Full Version : Suitable timber for turning miniatures

Kimba
8th July 2014, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

I enjoy turning miniatures and the timber I have been using is Osage Orange because it is flexible, dense and holds detail well. However, I have used all of my seasoned Osage Orange and will need to wait for the rest of it season. Has anyone found any other suitable timber that is easily sourced and suitable for turning detailed miniatures? I have tried Red Gum and a couple of others as an alternative.

Any suggestions?

tea lady
8th July 2014, 10:22 AM
Gidgee or mulga. Or other desert timbers. Dead finish. Although I have some quilted stuff that it a bit difficult to turn thin cos the grain runs off everywhere. Hard maple? Holly? Fruitwoods are very hard. And its nice to turn pale woods for a change. They also smell like their fruits. Which is fun. Rose wood. Western myall.

Still might take a bit of hunting about to source. Cant' exactly buy them at bunnings. Maybe put a notice in the wanted to buy section? Also sometimes available on ebay.

Old-Biker-UK
8th July 2014, 07:18 PM
My top two would be Boxwood (Buxus sp. [Buxaceae]) and African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon Guill. & Perr. [Fabaceae])
As Tea Lady said - Holly is good but needs to be dried quickly in small (1/2" - 5/8") boards to get a nice 'bone' white colour. Dried in bigger lumps tends to give a bland buff colour.
For small turnings I have also used wood from slow growing shrubs like Berberis, Garrya, Cotoneaster etc. I can get 4 small lace bobbin blanks from a 4" x 1" dia branch.
Doesn't take long to give small bits a blast in the microwave and see what they are like to turn.

Mark

Kimba
10th July 2014, 09:11 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have used dry area rosewood for larger projects. The timber was hard on my saws. However, I have never turned a miniature from it. I will try :)

Thanks

tea lady
10th July 2014, 11:04 AM
So where's the pics of your miniatures? :)