PDA

View Full Version : Old hand saw

BlackbuttWA
8th July 2014, 11:32 AM
This saw was bought new as a 22" & obviously well used by my ex-FIL's grandfather.
I have been told that this style of handle screw was last used in 1885. No makers name that I can see.
I was still using this until I retired a few years ago.

Col

orraloon
8th July 2014, 01:21 PM
Well used for sure! Nice handle and would be good to find another blade for it.
Regards
John.

issatree
8th July 2014, 06:02 PM
Hi Col,
There must have been a reason for the curved cutting edge, or was it just sharpened that way. sure done a lot of work.
So will you clean it all up & hang it on your wall ???.
I reckon it might look pretty good, on a wall. Probably needs a good rest.
I'm assured that a Citrus Acid Bath will not hurt the Wooden Handle, but I haven't tried cleaning it that way.

IanW
8th July 2014, 06:26 PM
Yep, not much life left in that old beauty - it deserves an honorable retirement if ever a saw did!

John, might be easier to find a nice old saw to replace this one than finding another blade..... :U

Cheers,

Bushmiller
9th July 2014, 10:37 PM
This saw was bought new as a 22" & obviously well used by my ex-FIL's grandfather.
I have been told that this style of handle screw was last used in 1885. No makers name that I can see.
I was still using this until I retired a few years ago.

Col

Don't worry about another saw plate: Just give this one a couple more sharpenings and I think you could pass it off as a compass saw. :):rolleyes:

Yes, the split nuts fell from grace as soon as the modern style of sawnuts were patented in 1887. Those split nuts are fragile.

Your saw is interesting as it has no medallion, but that makes it very difficult to identify unless there are any markings on the saw plate itself. I would not be expecting an etch, but possibly some stamped marking. I am also guessing it is a panel saw as it only has three sawnuts. It also has a lambs tongue handle emphasising that it is a very early saw.

Regards
Paul