PDA

View Full Version : Postage charges and dispute.

goodwoody
9th July 2014, 09:16 PM
Groovers, recently I won some lathe tool holders on an auction site. The seller posted that a single tool holder would be about $15, this seemed a bit steep to me. I contacted the seller informing him/her that I was intending to bid on further items and could we combine postage. This was agreed upon. An updated invoice was received and the postage for a couple of tool holders and a 300mm boring bar was about $30.00. Again I thought this was steep. I did some research over the phone and internet contacting Auspost and they said a satchel bag up to 5kgs was $16.70 postage. I contacted the seller and inquired with all due respect why the charges were almost double. The reply that came was aggressive and demanding that I pay ASAP. I didn't take kindly to this and again asked for clarity. More aggression came. This was not a happy experience as he said that of all his/her customers I was the first and only who he had combined postage for. I just don't get it!!!!! Damien:doh:

.RC.
9th July 2014, 09:46 PM
You know the postage before the item sells to bid accordingly.... I just bought an item and the seller went full retard and charged $17 for postage for a micrometer head...

I bid accordingly... I will also leave feedback appropriate to the postage costs...

simonl
9th July 2014, 10:11 PM
Hello fellow groover!

This recently happened to me with a purchase in the US. I asked the seller if they posted to Aus and for a price. It was for a Rockwell universal grinding fixture. The seller said they had never shipped to Aus before but was happy to get a quote. $200 was the quote, which was prohibitively expensive. I offered to investigate further from my end and got shipping quotes through Shipto. At $50 it seemed doable. I then went on the USPS website to get a quote from the seller to Shipto warehouse in Nevada. The quotes were a little confusing but one figure for a parcel larger than the size of the item and for the weight came in at US12. I sent them a link to the quote and asked them to send an invoice for the item and the domestic shipping cost to Nevada. I promptly got an invoice (after I was the highest bidder and the auction finished) for the item price + $30 shipping! While I didn't directly question the shipping price, I kindly asked if that was for shipping to Nevada or to my home address (hint hint)

Anyway, I was pretty happy with the price of the item and in the end I figured it was going to be counter productive to argue about the extra $17 for shipping so I just paid it.

Now I'm waiting like a cat on hot bricks! The item was posted last week Wednesday and it is still yet to arrive at Shipto. I have since double checked the address and it's all correct. First time use of Shipto and must admit I find it an uncomfortable process since there is the potential for ducking and weaving by all parties should the item "disappear".

Simon

Zwitter
9th July 2014, 10:44 PM
Hi
I agree with RC "bid and leave feedback accordingly"

I have walked away from many auctions because the seller seems to think we are too far, hard etc to post to.

Others have been super helpful. One site even tells you what else can be squeezed into the box.

I had one item get shipped here and back to Canada due to incorrect sticker on the box. 9 months later i got it second time but did split the second postage.

Sometimes i have refused and copped the strike and appealed for it to be removed. The other reason they jack up post is to avoid fees as postage is not hit with fees and does not have to be refunded etc

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

simonl
9th July 2014, 11:06 PM
Forgot to mention. Don't forget it is postage AND handling. If the seller has to drive 20 mins to the post office then they are entitled to charge "reasonable" handling fees.

Sometimes the postage is so cheap that it does not even get considered in the final price, other times when it's quite substantial it needs to looked at as an overall price of the item.

Simon

goodwoody
10th July 2014, 12:03 AM
The seller was going to charge me about $30 using his boxes and bubble wrap and take it to the post office to send. Then why cant he go to the post office buy a 5kg satchel wrap the items in his bubble wrap and post it for $16.70?
If he wanted to add a couple of dollars for bubble wrap and asked me about it, I would have agreed and said that it was not an issue. To double the postage is what really annoyed mw along with his ignorance when asked about the pricing.
Damien.

Master Splinter
10th July 2014, 02:27 AM
In the good old days of direct mail (remember those catalogues full of junk advertised with a special offer on the back of No Idea and similar woman's mags?) it wasn't uncommon for the postage charge to actually be the profit source on the transaction. And if you are more of an ad-hoc seller, it does actually take a fair bit of running around to pack and send stuff.

acmegridley
10th July 2014, 07:38 AM
I recently purchased some clock parts from Lee Valley in the US,ordered on thursday afternoon,was on my doorstep on Monday morning,I was amazed,quicker than coming from Melbourne,cost $38 UPS freight,even with the freight was still cheaper than local supplier.
:)

Auskart
10th July 2014, 08:07 AM
I think one of the reasons Postage charges have gone up on fleabay is because fleabay are now gouging the sellers for fee's on the postage costs as well as the sale item. Then again some sellers are just greedy.:no:

simonl
11th July 2014, 08:21 AM
Hello fellow groover!

The quotes were a little confusing but one figure for a parcel larger than the size of the item and for the weight came in at US12. I sent them a link to the quote and asked them to send an invoice for the item and the domestic shipping cost to Nevada. I promptly got an invoice (after I was the highest bidder and the auction finished) for the item price + $30 shipping!

Simon

Well so far so good. The item arrived at Shipto overnight. I found out why the seller charged me $30 for domestic postage instead of the $12 I was expecting. The thing does not weigh 9 lb as the seller said, it weighs 19 lb :oo: So their only offence would be not having accurate scales, $30 does not seem unreasonable.

Despite the nearly 100% increase in estimated shipping weight, the Shipto costs have gone from $50 to $70. Not too bad either!

Simon

dabbler
11th July 2014, 11:54 AM
I think one of the reasons Postage charges have gone up on fleabay is because fleabay are now gouging the sellers for fee's on the postage costs as well as the sale item.:no:

That’s partly ebay’s response to sellers offering 1cent or $1 BIN and charging $10, $15 or $20 on shipping and “handling” for envelope sized objects.

.RC.
14th July 2014, 08:02 PM
My item arrived as well.... Posted regular post, no registered, no express.... Cost him $7.20... I got charged $17.80 or so...

Neutral feedback left... Stuff them, if they cannot work out proper postage costs prior to the sale then expect unhappy customers... If it was posted registered or express at greater cost I would have been more lenient..

The seller selling all that measuring stuff on ebay with a starting price of $10 or so, got it all from that toolmakers auction in I think it was Geelong, that was mentioned in the ebay thread... The item I got still had the lot number on it...

simonl
14th July 2014, 08:23 PM
My item arrived as well.... Posted regular post, no registered, no express.... Cost him $7.20... I got charged $17.80 or so...

Neutral feedback left... Stuff them, if they cannot work out proper postage costs prior to the sale then expect unhappy customers... If it was posted registered or express at greater cost I would have been more lenient..

The seller selling all that measuring stuff on ebay with a starting price of $10 or so, got it all from that toolmakers auction in I think it was Geelong, that was mentioned in the ebay thread... The item I got still had the lot number on it...

Yep that's not fair. It's dead easy to work out postage costs. Aus post have an online calculator.

Simon

simonl
14th July 2014, 08:30 PM
I'm watching with interest my package that went through Shipto. The tracking system provided by TNT seems to be updated fairly regularly. The latest update has me scratching my head. I won't put a link to it, but the latest update reads:

Date Time Location Action

14 Jul 2014
12:00:00
Sydney
Delay. Recovery Action Underway

What's recovery action, is it lost? :o

Michael G
14th July 2014, 10:05 PM
Not lost. More likely put on the wrong truck or something so it's heading to Brisbane say instead of Melbourne. Recovery action means they have realised the mistake and are putting a plan in place to get it back (for example, air freight from Brisbane to Melbourne?)

Michael

simonl
14th July 2014, 10:29 PM
Not lost. More likely put on the wrong truck or something so it's heading to Brisbane say instead of Melbourne. Recovery action means they have realised the mistake and are putting a plan in place to get it back (for example, air freight from Brisbane to Melbourne?)

Michael

Thanks Michael. A very optimistic reply. Do you work for TNT? :rolleyes:

Simon

FenceFurniture
14th July 2014, 11:47 PM
I'm watching with interest my package that went through Shipto. The tracking system provided by TNT seems to be updated fairly regularly. The latest update has me scratching my head. I won't put a link to it, but the latest update reads:

Date Time Location Action

14 Jul 2014
Sydney

What's recovery action, is it lost? :oYou'll be right - have seen that a few times - in my experience with TNT (via Shipito) they have been excellent. Can't say the same about Shipito (how many ways are there to gouge an extra few bucks).

Pete F
15th July 2014, 10:27 AM

Michael

Agreed.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The "Postage and Payments" section of an ebay listing clearly describes the payment as Postage and Handling. If you feel the seller should buy packing material, pack the goods, address the package, drive to the post office, stand in line, post the package, and drive home again, all for free or a buck fifty, then that's fine. If on the other hand you feel the amount they're asking for the above is excessive, then don't bid. Simple really.

simonl
15th July 2014, 11:57 AM
Agreed.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The "Postage and Payments" section of an ebay listing clearly describes the payment as Postage and Handling. If you feel the seller should buy packing material, pack the goods, address the package, drive to the post office, stand in line, post the package, and drive home again, all for free or a buck fifty, then that's fine. If on the other hand you feel the amount they're asking for the above is excessive, then don't bid. Simple really.

Well yes it's a valid point too. The odd thing that I sell on ebay, I don't expect to be paid to drive 5 mins down the road to the post office. I see it as part and parcel of selling an item that I no longer want. But, if I was selling for a living then yes, it would have to be taken into account as part of the costs of selling. Either way, I make sure I know exactly what something is going to cost me to get it to my door. Sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances where this cost may blow out, but it has never been astronomical.

Hey, they must have found my item. Actually it may have just been held up in customs: There have been a few updates since this morning:

15 Jul 2014
10:40:27
Sydney
Shipment In Transit.

15 Jul 2014
10:37:43
Sydney
Shipment Received At Tnt Location

15 Jul 2014
04:04:37
Sydney
Shipment Physically Released From Customs

14 Jul 2014
Sydney

I'm very impressed at the amount of information they provide. It must get automatically updated each time a person at each location barcodes it? Why can't aussie post do that? The only update you get is that it's delivered. No kidding!

Simon

FenceFurniture
15th July 2014, 12:05 PM
Why can't aussie post do that? The only update you get is that it's delivered. No kidding! SimonActually they do Simon. If you have a tracking number you can follow the progress. For an eParcel they send out email updates automatically - to the point where I've seen an email saying it's been delivered - gone to the door - seen the AP person walking back to the van.

allterrain50
15th July 2014, 12:43 PM
I bought some tooling from the UK and was interested in watching the tracking over a couple of weeks. That parcel travelled to 3 different states, VIC, NSW and QLD and then was reportedly signed for by me in QLD. Which is very interesting as I live in Sydney. Australia post is a wonder to behold, I certainly got some travel value for my buck. Still no delivery and Australia Post make it so hard to get compensation most people would just give up (which is of course what they want).
Fortunately the supplier sent me a replacement at no cost. About 2 months after all this happened, the missing parcel arrived, go figure!!!!. I sold the original tool and sent the money to the supplier, he was very supprised.

simonl
15th July 2014, 02:29 PM
Actually they do Simon. If you have a tracking number you can follow the progress. For an eParcel they send out email updates automatically - to the point where I've seen an email saying it's been delivered - gone to the door - seen the AP person walking back to the van.

I stand corrected. It must depend on the service you opt for. I have recently received a parcel through aus post with a tracking No. but the only two details they gave was in transit and delivered.

Simon

FenceFurniture
15th July 2014, 02:33 PM
It must depend on the service you opt for.All parcels are now trackable (since some time in the last 12 months). They give you a docket with the tracking # on it.

simonl
15th July 2014, 02:35 PM
Slightly OT but the most fun I have had tracking a "parcel" was a new car from Toyota. I bought a new Prado diesel and wanted a manual. No manuals in Australia so it was a special build at toyota, Japan. They gave me a customer number and logging onto a website it gave you updates including production line, at the docks, in transit on the ship etc. etc. It was a 4 month wait until I got it. I was on their website every day for 4 months!

There is a Hilux add where the guy forgets the handbrake and it goes over the cliff into the see. "Baby come back" is the jingle and it shows him off his food and dreaming of his lost car. He finds it on the beach….. My wife thinks that add is me! :U

Edit: stupid spell check

Simon

argeng
17th July 2014, 10:09 PM
Likewise I have never really complained about postage charges ebay sellers have indicated, I normally ask questions first before deciding on a purchase.
I did sell a virtually new viscous original Landrover series II Discovery Fan, $450 New, sold price I think was $120, I didn't complain as that was what it sold for. I charged $12 for postage and handling, wrapped in bubble wrap, sandwiched in heavy cardboard. Buyer emailed me saying he wasn't impressed with being charged $12 for bubble wrap and card board, very happy with fan though. Go figure!
Bruce

Vernonv
18th July 2014, 01:05 PM
Buyer emailed me saying he wasn't impressed with being charged $12 for bubble wrap and card board, very happy with fan though. Go figure!Yes, you get all sorts ... I sold an item late one evening and posted it the next day, and the buyer gave me negative feedback for slow postage. It took 2 days to get to him.

Jekyll and Hyde
18th July 2014, 06:29 PM
I charged $12 for postage and handling, wrapped in bubble wrap, sandwiched in heavy cardboard. Buyer emailed me saying he wasn't impressed with being charged $12 for bubble wrap and card board, very happy with fan though. Go figure!
Bruce

Surely it would cost you more than $12 just in postage to send something the size of a disco fan!