PDA

View Full Version : Violin timber

GrahamHypher
9th July 2014, 11:15 PM
Hi all, I'm considering a move down under, poss NZ, whats it like getting european spruce for violin tops, and maple/sycamore for necks and backs down there, also what kind of price would it be for a set of wood. At the moment I'm paying about 250 pounds for really nice set including AAA top and back, plus ribs and matching neck blank. Sometimes a bit more. Thanks in advance!

mandoman
10th July 2014, 11:20 AM
Try
Guitar Parts - Australian Luthiers Supplies - Parts & materials for guitars, basses, mandolins and violins, replacement hardware including bridges and machine heads, wood for tops, backs & sides, necks and fingerboards, tuners, bridges and other part (http://luthierssupplies.com.au/)

Otherwise import it yourself. It doesn't grow down here so has to be imported and it is usually cheaper to import a batch yourself. Just take the advertised price and add postage. Postage is hefty and can be half the cost (or more) of the wood. I have always imported European Maple and Spruce myself.

kamusur
10th July 2014, 10:31 PM
What Peter said plus keep your eyes out for forum group buys etc.

Steve

Sebastiaan56
14th July 2014, 08:42 PM
I got great service from Simeon Chambers on the auction site. The post works well in Aus.

SawDustSniffer
13th December 2014, 04:10 PM
Also some of the local timbers are better than spruce for violin tops , look for Tasmanian " King Billy Pine "