PDA

View Full Version : Banksia.....timber not nuts.

BlackbuttWA
12th July 2014, 12:21 PM
G'day all,
I have seen several post regarding the Banksia Nuts which are the seed pod of the Banksia grandis.
The reason not many people get to turn this timber is that it cracks so quickly & so it is not very often you can get any decent sizes to turn.
This tree had been dead for over a year on my block. The trouble is when left standing you risk white ants getting stuck into it, luckily this didn't happen.
Photo is of a pair of lamps319290 turned for a club competition.
Finish is soft wax then buffed.

C&C welcome as always.

Col

Mobyturns
12th July 2014, 12:53 PM
Very nice. Banksia's offer some great opportunities timber wise with their unique grain. Its a pity we don't see more of it due to the matters you raised.

DSEL74
12th July 2014, 07:02 PM
Lovely lamps.

We have quite a massive bottle brush (Banksia?) That needs to be cut down as it is leaning over the house and the previous residents have it propped up on a steel post.
Main section would be at a guess a foot diameter. Any suggestions for having it cut and storing it to dry in a suitable way to get best results??

cava
12th July 2014, 07:18 PM
I have been trying to dry small amounts of milled banksia for a few years with no success - it just splits and twists.

However, I have a small log 200-250 mm diameter that I left whole at the bottom of the woodpile, and it seems to be drying nicely the last time I looked. It's about 12-15 months since it was cut.

DSEL74
12th July 2014, 09:42 PM
Do you guys paint the ends??

Toymaker Len
12th July 2014, 10:49 PM
Always paint the ends.

cava
13th July 2014, 12:18 AM
Do you guys paint the ends??
Normally yes, however this time with the banksia no. Not sure why, I just didn't do it.:cool:

BlackbuttWA
13th July 2014, 10:38 AM
We have quite a massive bottle brush (Banksia?)

A Bottlebrush is not Banksia, it is Callistemon & there are many species & different hybrids.

Yes, I also paint the ends, but with the ones for the lamp I couldn't as it was still standing 1 week before I turned it.
As I said earlier, it had been dead for a couple of years.

Col

MrFez
13th July 2014, 12:27 PM
I "trimmed" a large bottlebrush tree that was overhanging my property about 3 years ago. Since then I have been enjoying what I find to be a very nice timber to turn, one which finishes really well.

I didn't paint the ends, but should have.

Enjoy