PDA

View Full Version : Been busy lately

Dalboy
14th July 2014, 07:52 AM
I have been busy lately drawing up plans for a toy pick up truck, So decided to take a break from them as I was going cross eyed and make a few things so that I can do some craft fairs.

So this is what I have been up to the last two days. I managed to make six things but only 5 here the sixth is still in the work in progress stage as that is for a friendly competition on another forum I visit.

A small beech bowl

A walnut bowl which was a little soft after soaking with sander sealer and letting dry it turned OK

Apot porri the last picture without the lid again in beech.

The last is a small hollow form which I am not sure if I should make a lid and finial may do it tomorrow and see.

And also a small dish which was turned wet and has warped which quite appeals to me or should I say like me warped. Not sure of the wood for this

Treecycle
14th July 2014, 09:06 AM
The Pot Pourie really takes my fancy. Like the colour variation which is a little bit like our Blackheart Sassafrass.

Christos
14th July 2014, 10:31 AM
Some very interesting pieces that you have posted.

All of your pieces have some degree of colour change within the piece. Really love the way this has come out.

I have to ask did you plan this before the piece was created?

And the warping of the dish, really cool.

crowie
14th July 2014, 08:14 PM
Glad to see you've been keeping busy Derek and wow, you sure have done some mighty fine turning...well done, sir..Cheers, crowie

smiife
14th July 2014, 08:58 PM
Hi derek,
You have been busy, very nice pieces
Well done :2tsup:

Dalboy
15th July 2014, 02:57 AM
Thank you all I am trying to get enough pieces together to go to craft fairs nearer Christmas

Some very interesting pieces that you have posted.

All of your pieces have some degree of colour change within the piece. Really love the way this has come out.

I have to ask did you plan this before the piece was created?

And the warping of the dish, really cool.

I was fortunate enough to be able to see the colour change on the cut logs that I was given so it gave me a starting point on deciding what to make and where the marking ended up. These all were rough turned and stored so am now getting around to finishing them

Other times like the walnut bowl it was found after I had to split a large piece due to it cracking when it was drying. I was given that piece and did not get chance to seal it due to a emergency visit to the hospital. So now I have three pieces the one above, one started as I said it is a competition piece in progress and one other yet to turn.

Hermit
15th July 2014, 09:46 AM
Nice work Derek. You're sure knocking them out. You'll do well at the craft fairs.

I haven't tried turning green wood yet. Something else to try.