PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking on TV?

porter
23rd June 2005, 10:14 PM
Are there any woodworking shows on television in Australia?

Thanks.

Ashore
23rd June 2005, 10:20 PM
Yes

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore
23rd June 2005, 10:39 PM
Theres noddy he has a wooden Head

Don't ya just hate that

On free to air TV we have A couple of the lifestyly shows with woodie segments
But on pay TV we have the How To Channel with several from Australia, usa & england
including New Yankey Workshop , Our House,Talk to dIY , wood works ,weekend handyman, diy tools & techniques, ask diy etc.......

Plus A LIfestyle Channel with other shows.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

craigb
23rd June 2005, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately, not enough.

On cable we get endless re-runs of Norm from about 3 or 4 years ago,
David Marks from a couple of years ago, and an English show which I've not seen.

Sadly there are no Australian woodwork shows.

We have some lifestyle makeover type programs which will usually have a segment where someone incompetant makes some piece of useless crap out of MDF. :(

Craig

FlyingDuck
26th June 2005, 09:11 PM
Which cable channel has the woodworking shows with Norm? Might be worth getting cable TV afer all, as I've seen a couple of his shows while visitng the USA and often wished they were on back home in Australia.

Grunt
26th June 2005, 09:38 PM
The Lifestyle Channel has Norm on at 9:30am on Saturday and if you have digital the Lifestyle Channel is repeated 2 hours later. You get to watch the Norm repeat again 2 hours later.

Stuart
26th June 2005, 10:24 PM
If you are going there, upgrade from the basic package to the one that includes all the (non movie) channels. Doesn't cost much extra, but you get the "How To" channel that has heaps of woodworking on it. First night I got foxtel digital, my wife ended up having to sit through about 3 hours of woodworking shows!

Cagey
5th July 2005, 10:32 PM
Be warned, I have had Digital since day 1. I have seen every woodworking show several times because i am sure they only have about 20 episodes of each show (not confined to woodworking shows). I thought normal service was bad for repeats, but special digital channels leave it for dead

graemecarson
5th July 2005, 11:55 PM
If you have a DVD recorder with a hard drive you can watch the repeats repeatedly as well. Lets face it though, if it wasn't for pay TV all we'd have are shows that told us how to make coffee tables out of used pallets and bookshelves out of MDF. I think they're worse than repeats of Norm and David Marks. DIY Tools & Techniques seems a bit better than it used to be - the presenter even seems to know what he's using in the current series.

Cagey
6th July 2005, 09:41 AM
Graeme,
I agree that good repeats are better than nothing, but for the price i am paying for the Digital service, and the hype that was thrown at me, i expect better. I know that if you go to the diy.net website, or Norms site there seems to be a lot of episodes we havent seen.

graemecarson
12th July 2005, 11:37 PM
Hiya Cagey,

I agree that there are a lot we haven't seen and yet some - like DIY T&T seem to be fairly up to date. I just hope it means we can look forward to a few more years of new seasons with repeats - they obviously don't have to pay as much for subsequent useages. I still think its worth the money though - especially as SWMBO pays the bill for Foxtel! Thank heavens for Lovejoy and UK TV - its not too much to put up with to get the sport and the WW shows.

Cheers.

Simomatra
16th July 2005, 04:03 PM
Watched my first view of the DIY channell on the company foxtell last night. Will have to upgrade to digital when I get back home as I was impressed

For me something new for a change. Appeared to be lots of other goodies as well.

Hard to see what you want when you share the TV with 96 others
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif