PDA

View Full Version : What are these chisels ???

Simplicity
15th July 2014, 10:49 PM
I Was looking at the lee Valley website the other day as one does if one is tool junky.
And I came across these.

Perfect-Pattern Handled Chisels - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70784&cat=1,41504)

Perfect pattern handled chisels.
They look like mortise chisels to me.
Or am I missing something?
Could any one shed some light on what they are intended for ext. the quality if you have a set. Are you happy with them?
Sorry if this seems simply question but like I said I have either missed something completely.
Or I'm just having a moment lol.
Or both.

hiroller
15th July 2014, 11:41 PM
A "Perfect Handle" tool was originally one of a range of forged products with riveted wooden scales patented and made by H.D. Smith & Co. of Connecticut.
The “Perfect Handle” Hatchet – Who Knew? | ConnecticutHistory.org (http://connecticuthistory.org/the-perfect-handle-hatchet-who-knew/)
Mostly you see screwdrivers. The original H.D. smith ones can be expensive.
I'm pretty sure the Schwarz blogged about them some time ago.
LV also make some:
Woodworkers' Parallel-Tip Screwdrivers - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70159&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=1)
More Perfect Handle history here:
OldTools Archive -- thread with message 190534 (http://www.swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=190534&submit_thread=1)

Not sure what the chisels aimed at. I guess the solid steel tang would be similar in use to a Stanley everlasting chisel. Solid tang chisels seem to be more favoured on construction sites rather than cabinet making but they look a bit nice to be belting with a chippy's hammer.

bridger
16th July 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm a bit leery of the stainless blades, but stainless metallurgy seems to have come a long way in the last decade or so.

Berlin
16th July 2014, 08:28 PM
They look like a corporate gift - snazzy but crappy. They might be brilliant but they look like they could have the logo of an aluminium extrusions or injection moulding company printed on the blade.

Is that too cynical?

FenceFurniture
16th July 2014, 09:20 PM
Reckon they're Chinese Jobbies. No country of manu specified, which usually means........

issatree
16th July 2014, 09:47 PM
Hi Sim,
Where were you Sun.
HTPAA had a Tool Sale in the Glenferrie Primary School, & there were more Chisels there than you could throw a book at.
Why Buy American when they are in your back yard.
Ask Doggie WWF Member, as he had heaps of chisels.

IanW
17th July 2014, 10:36 AM
If you do a Google on 440 stainless steel you'll get some factual info & lots of opinions. Seems like it's the pick of the SS alloys for blades, but the knife nazis won't have it for thier high-quality knives under any circumstances. Note they've kept the hardness of these chisels to the lower end of what we've come to expect for carbon steels. This seems to be the normal range for 440, and fits my own experience of using SS knives over the last 40 years. The better knives are ok, and not too brittle, but no SS knife I ever used would hold an edge quite the way the equivalent CS knives did. It wasn't a big deal, you just paused to sharpen a little more often (especially when students tried cutting through the steel benches with them :o), & the corrosion resistance & cleanability of SS probably more than made up for its deficiencies.

I reckon these chisels would be ideal for folks who haven't the inclination or the time to fuss over their tools, and especially if they work where conditions are conducive to rusting. For some people, durability is a bigger consideration than edge-holding - they just hit a bit harder rather than sharpen often.... :; :U
Cheers,

bridger
17th July 2014, 03:17 PM
I'd even go so far as to say that the rust resistance qualities of these chisels would be their most outstanding qualities. for use onboard a boat or other wet or corrosive environment the fact that they would simply survive could trump edge holding characteristics.