PDA

View Full Version : A small bits 'n pieces plate

Hermit
16th July 2014, 11:54 PM
A small segmented plate, 200mm diameter, Tas Oak with Merbau, Blackbutt, Camphor Laurel and Purpleheart dividers in the band, finished in satin WOP.
(Thought I'd never get to the end of making the band.)

I can't claim credit for working out the band design. I saw a similar band in the January 2014 issue of the UK 'The Woodworker & Woodturner' magazine and thought I'd give it a go.

I tried with different lighting but couldn't get better pics than these under artificial light. Might try outdoors tomorrow if the Sun comes out.

319788 319797

Dalboy
17th July 2014, 12:27 AM
You have done a great job in doing it the joints all look to be nice and tight.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I thought I recognised the idea Steve one of the few magazines of the Woodworker I have(I wonder why).

Hermit
17th July 2014, 12:47 AM
You have done a great job in doing it the joints all look to be nice and tight.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks Derek. The band was the most painstakingly boring thing I've done so far, but the look is effective.

I thought I recognised the idea Steve one of the few magazines of the Woodworker I have(I wonder why).

Yep, it's the only issue I have. :D

(For others, that issue featured a build of Derek's - a scale model 1936 Ford Roadster.)

Christos
17th July 2014, 01:30 AM
An interesting piece. Just a quick question was this done as two pieces then brought together or some other way.

Hermit
17th July 2014, 01:36 AM
An interesting piece. Just a quick question was this done as two pieces then brought together or some other way.

Hello Christos. You've got it - two pieces. First I made the band, then the plate, then put the two together.

Originally, I only planned the band to be 20mm wide, but after all the work I couldn't bring myself to trim it further and lose more of the pattern, so re-drew the plate design for a 30mm band. (That's why the rim is inordinately wide.)

I have a few pics of the band-making process. I'll attach them in the next post.

Hermit
17th July 2014, 01:48 AM
First the timbers are marked out and cut into rough triangles, no fixed angles:
319808 319809

Next they're glued together into short strips with Purpleheart dividers and marked out for the next burst of cutting:
319810 319811

The final triangles are cut and I've started the main glue-up, with Purpleheart dividers again, over a sheet of paper with the band outline marked:
319812 319813

All but the last piece glued into place. The last piece was a bit tricky and took a bit of trial and error to get right:

Assembled and cleaned up:

Dalboy
17th July 2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks Derek. The band was the most painstakingly boring thing I've done so far, but the look is effective.

It may have been Steve but you did a great job and it was all worth while:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
17th July 2014, 08:28 AM
Very nice Steve your wood turning had come a long way in a short time.
Cheers Frank.

Hermit
17th July 2014, 10:01 AM
Very nice Steve your wood turning had come a long way in a short time.
Cheers Frank.

Thank you Frank. Your comment is much appreciated. I've been trying to 'push the envelope' with each piece, making it a bit harder each time, so I keep learning quickly. I'm a bit surprised that I got away with this one without incident. Gives me the nerve to try something a bit more challenging next up.

_fly_
17th July 2014, 10:29 AM
Very nice piece Steve,
Looks very effective.

Peter

Treecycle
17th July 2014, 11:07 AM
That's a fantastic outcome Steve. The time and patience was well worth it.
What method did you use to cut all your little triangles? Are you using the rubber bands to apply the pressure when gluing, or are they just holding dry pieces together?
It looks like you are starting to build up quite a collection of different species of wood now.

Glenn.Visca
17th July 2014, 11:23 AM
Sensational ! Really like it !

Hermit
17th July 2014, 11:26 AM
Very nice piece Steve,
Looks very effective.

Peter

Thanks for that Pete. It was a good first real test of the vac chuck system too. I'm convinced now.

That's a fantastic outcome Steve. The time and patience was well worth it.
What method did you use to cut all your little triangles?

I used the bandsaw to cut the pieces for the band, followed by the disc sander to clean up the edges. Then a final rub on a flat sanding board to ensure the edges were dead flat. I would have used the mitre saw, but would have had to adjust the angle after each cut to keep the angles random. The 12 x 15 degree segments for the plate itself were cut with the mitre saw.

Are you using the rubber bands to apply the pressure when gluing, or are they just holding dry pieces together?

Just rub joints on the band, using TiteBond Original. (Very short initial tack time.)

On the plate, I used rub joints again to assemble each half-ring, then a large hoseclamp to pull the two halves together while gluing.

I find that as long as there are no gaps and the joint is well rubbed to remove excess glue, it's as strong as if it was clamped. Nothing's come apart yet. (Fingers crossed.)

It looks like you are starting to build up quite a collection of different species of wood now.

I've had most of it sitting around for ages, offcuts from previous projects. There's very little Purpleheart and Merbau left, so I just use them for feature stuff now. Got plenty of Tas Oak, Blackbutt and (greyish) Camphor Laurel though. I'm not sure what to do with the CL that has grey right through it. I hate the look.
Almost forgot - also two 1 metre slabs of Silky Oak. Still thinking about what to do with them.

Sensational ! Really like it !

Thank you Glenn. Glad you like it.