PDA

View Full Version : Purple gidgee box

powderpost
17th July 2014, 09:26 PM
Some time back I was given what I thought was waddy wood. I had never worked with waddy wood so could not really confirm that it was really waddy wood. Since then I have found out it was really pink gidgee. At that time I remembered I had some purple gidgee some where in the shed. Well I found the purple gidgee today and turned a small threaded box from it. The piece I found was from the side of the tree so I had to make the box from "plank" grain instead of from a short section of branch material. It cut a magnificent thread and I don't think the grain orientation will make any difference, or I hope it won't.
The piece I had was acquired from a wood turner in Canberra about 25 or 30 years ago, so I think it is well seasoned. :) It turned well, better in scraping mode than cutting mode.
The box is 55mm diameter and 50mm high. I taken a photo of the shavings from both pink gidgee and purple gidgee. The pink gidgee shavings are more of a greenish yellow colour.

Jim

Hermit
17th July 2014, 11:07 PM
Nice one Jim, and the texturing on the lid really sets it off. Yet another thing I haven't tried.

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2014, 08:39 AM
Is that a glue line I can see? :?

Mobyturns
18th July 2014, 09:04 AM
:2tsup: Who says you're never to old to learn? :rolleyes: Or that real turners don't scrape! :-

Nice work Jim :2tsup: first class threading.

Bluegum
18th July 2014, 12:20 PM
Looks really nice there Jim. Colour is amazing. :2tsup:

powderpost
18th July 2014, 06:29 PM
Is that a glue line I can see? :?

Actually Cliff, there is a glue line on the bottom. There was a split that I filled with glue and shavings. :p

Jim

powderpost
18th July 2014, 06:35 PM
:2tsup: Who says you're never to old to learn? :rolleyes: Or that real turners don't scrape! :-

Nice work Jim :2tsup: first class threading.

Bill Jones, probably the last old English bone and hardwood turners made the statement in his book that he didn't "scrape" he turned. If that was good enough for him, it is good enough for me. :) These hard woods I have been using lately produce a nice shaving using a "scraping" technique. In fact some of these shavings can be seen in the photo of the piles of waste.

Jim

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2014, 09:09 PM
I was in Mareeba today, nearly made it out to your place with some more Western Qld hardwood but I ran out of time.

blondewood
27th July 2014, 04:26 AM
That is a beautiful box. I love everything about, species, design, decorative cuts, threaded lid. Awesome!

Mobyturns
27th July 2014, 07:41 AM
I could be bribed into letting a little bit of my stash go :rolleyes: if you turn up with your threading tools in hand :D.

powderpost
27th July 2014, 11:34 AM
I could be bribed into letting a little bit of my stash go :rolleyes: if you turn up with your threading tools in hand :D.
Indian giver... :( Or is that back mail??? :doh:

powderpost
27th July 2014, 11:37 AM
I was in Mareeba today, nearly made it out to your place with some more Western Qld hardwood but I ran out of time.
I knew girls like that when I was 18, they were often referred to as teasers. :q :D

Hermit
27th July 2014, 12:58 PM
I knew girls like that when I was 18, they were often referred to as teasers. :q :D

I still know girls like that. :~

dai sensei
27th July 2014, 08:23 PM
Keep on track guys :~

coffenup
2nd August 2014, 04:14 PM
nice job there Jim
the master has not lost his touch of solid wood turning
Regards Michael