PDA

View Full Version : A new turner

Colin62
21st July 2014, 09:28 AM
My youngest daughter turned her first bowl this weekend. The pics show her using a scraper, finishing with some Danish oil the next morning, and the last one is of the foreman as he keeps an eye on things. I also watched.

Mobyturns
21st July 2014, 09:39 AM
Nice work on the bowl. :2tsup: Yor daughter has done well. :D

It may pay to keep an eye on things like wearing gloves, jewelry and loose flappy shirt sleeves around the lathe. Not really a hazard with small stuff like this bowl but it can start "bad habits" that become problems later with bigger stuff. :wink:

Colin62
21st July 2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks, point taken. I think she's already decided I'm an old fusspot, with all the dire warnings I gave her.:)

The glove was because the tool rest was scraping her hand, and I didn't want her to give up before she'd started. I'm thinking that now she can see the rewards, she'll be prepared to put up with a little discomfort to achieve the goal. Being the youngest, her mother babied her a bit, and her sisters always climbed in and did stuff for her if she got stuck, and she has been known to give up when things don't go perfectly smoothly, so I was bending over backwards.

tea lady
21st July 2014, 10:20 AM
Well done.:2tsup:

Treecycle
21st July 2014, 11:07 AM
Good to see you keeping the family tradition going. Keep encouraging her and hopefully she will stick with it when she sees what can be achieved.
Nice job on that bowl with a good shine on the inside.

Tim the Timber Turner
21st July 2014, 11:40 AM
Here is a quick tip.

Put a rubber band over the wrist part of the glove.

It will take care of the loose cuff that could get caught on something.

Even better, it stops the glove filling up with shavings.

Cheers
Tim:)