PDA

View Full Version : Longest turning for the year!

chuck1
21st July 2014, 05:22 PM
3.5 metre posts with wait for it 85mm of turning and 1.4 metres between turnings! It took me 2hrs in total! Managed to turn them with no steady at 300 rpm!
Then a sample baluster for another job!
Thanks for looking!

chambezio
21st July 2014, 07:44 PM
There is no doubt, Chuck, that your days are varied!!!! A long job like that wouldn't come along very often.
I turned a couple of finials for my brother in Armidale, 20 or more years ago. He set himself up for a repaint of the barges and other timber work on his house. He found that the finials were like a piece of sponge. The weather up there is wet a lot of the year. Not so much with rain just misty stuff that comes in and wets every thing and doesn't really get a chance to dry out til summer, but even summer can have the misty effect. Well I have to replace the finials. Previously I used some Radiata that had rings about 8mm apart. I think the timber quality that I used should have been better. I thought this time round I would use 90 X 90mm preprimed Radiata. I know that this stuff, even though it is finger jointed, is a better quality than say framing grade. Do you think I am on the right track? He won't want to spend a fortune on timber(I know my brother)
These finials are a metre long and will be fitted onto the fascia.

smiife
21st July 2014, 08:10 PM
Hi chuckie,
Yes , you must have fun days at work!!
Is that done in one piece?
Well done mate looks good
Do you ever get to see the final job ?

chuck1
21st July 2014, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=chambezio;1792745]There is no doubt, Chuck, that your days are varied!!!! A long job like that wouldn't come along very often.
I turned a couple of finials for my brother in Armidale, 20 or more years ago. He set himself up for a repaint of the barges and other timber work on his house. He found that the finials were like a piece of sponge. The weather up there is wet a lot of the year. Not so much with rain just misty stuff that comes in and wets every thing and doesn't really get a chance to dry out til summer, but even summer can have the misty effect. Well I have to replace the finials. Previously I used some Radiata that had rings about 8mm apart. I think the timber quality that I used should have been better. I thought this time round I would use 90 X 90mm preprimed Radiata. I know that this stuff, even though it is finger jointed, is a better quality than say framing grade. Do you think I am on the right track? He won't want to spend a fortune on timber(I know my brother)
These finials are a metre long and will be fitted onto the fascia.[/QUOTE

With the finger joint pine if it's OLSP treated, it will need Re treatment after turning as you will have turned most of the treatment off as it doesn't penetrate very deep! I would avoid the green treated pine. Other than that if you can glue up yourself get some F27 hardwood and laminate with 515. All our outside glue is 515 and leave it double the clamp time.

chuck1
22nd July 2014, 06:48 AM
Hi chuckie,
Yes , you must have fun days at work!!
Is that done in one piece?
Well done mate looks good
Do you ever get to see the final job ?

Yes it is one piece! The longest I can turn at work is 3,6
I don't get to see it very often once installed.
Thanks smiife!