PDA

View Full Version : Forest Edge 2014 Neerim East Vic

dai sensei
21st July 2014, 09:26 PM
Well I had a ball at my first Forest Edge. Fri to Sun turning+scrollsawing+burning+card making+quilting. Lovely setting, right beside a mountain river in the mountains, on the other side very dense Eucalyptus forest. Cold and wet but what else do you expect in southern Vic in winter :rolleyes:. Well heated rooms, eating areas and even the super large turning area helped.

Sorry, this is the only photo I took of the event :-, but hopefully someone else will add some more photos.

I spent most of my time turning a few Crushgrind pepper grinders. On the right is the WA Sheoak (from Dusteater), on the left a WA Woody Pear (chocolate Sheoak from Willy Nelson) both finished with Shellewax. The one in the middle is one I did most of at 's from Blue-spot (ie spalted) Jarrah (also from Willy Nelson - he described as crappy firewood :rolleyes:) finished with nitrocellulose lacquer. The Jarrah was not a burl, just a really gnarly piece of timber, with huge cracks and a big rotten hole so I cast it with white & red resin.

320181 320182 320183

My shoulder, plus arthritis in my wrists and elbows were pretty sore, so decided to have a go at miniature goblets from Queen Ebony. I did cut in too deep on the stem of the smallest one just below the cup, but considering it is only ~5mm high, I thought I didn't do too bad. The different shapes were deliberate. They are so small even dust shows up in the photo :-.

320179 320180

Cheers

dougturner
21st July 2014, 11:14 PM
dai sensei, thanks for the info. Another event I had never heard of, but if it is an annual event, I might try and make it next year. The grinders are just great, love the finish gloss level. The miniatures will take ages to even get merry. Doug. :U

Willy Nelson
22nd July 2014, 01:00 AM
Hello Neil
Great looking pepper grinders, nice shape and great finish
You have done well
Willy
Jarrahland

Treecycle
22nd July 2014, 08:46 AM
Nice work Neil. Sounds like you enjoyed every minute of your time there.
Does this mean the shoulder is starting to get better

dai sensei
22nd July 2014, 04:37 PM
Does this mean the shoulder is starting to get better

It was, but the weekend did damage, 3 steps forward 2 steps back :-

brendan stemp
23rd July 2014, 11:59 AM
Isa likin da grinders. Elegant shape that doesn't compete with the figure in the timber. Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks for the panoramic view of venue. Nice to see to put in some context. And thanks for Robbos nuts. It took me a while to realise they were from you and not another Wright I know.