PDA

View Full Version : Weatherboards

Noel Butcher
29th November 2000, 04:42 PM
A query to all you learned persons out there...... My brother is about to re-weatherboard his house with new boards. Does anyone have an idea as to how long they will take to dry and shrink so that they may be painted without problems?

I ask this because a property I know of was clad in new weatherboards and painted within a couple of days. The next time I saw the house (a few months later) the boards had shrunk so there was an area of naked board a few milimetres wide along all of the previously overlapped sections. All suggestions will be gratefully received.

RFNK
29th November 2000, 08:11 PM
It just depends on the timber you use. We clad our first house with WRC which we stained prior to use and we never had any obvious shrinkage. We clad our next place with redwood, painted it once it was up and have had no obvious shrinkage on that. I know cypress will shrink as it's generally green when you use it and, of course, hardwood planks would usually be green so they'd shrink a lot. Why don't you just give the boards one coat of your finish colour prior to using them so that, if you do get a bit of shrinkage, it won't show much?

jamesy
30th November 2000, 09:16 PM
Noel

Tricky Question!

After I had deck built I spent the next 2 years tightening the bolts on the main bearers. 3/4" on the 6"x4" beams.I knew they were very green and was prepared for it.

Perhaps you talk to the suppier for some info on when the boards were cut. They may also be able to help with shinkage rates.

S Hayward
1st December 2000, 11:08 AM
Forget the paint
Paint timber is a pain and is best avoided. I would suggest an oil stain is the way to go. So much easier to apply and doesn't fall off, crack etc. The pigments in the stain will give you colour and UV protection.
We have used Organoil exterior oil with great results. That's my two bobs worth.
Cheers
Shaun

Noel Butcher
18th December 2000, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, fellas