PDA

View Full Version : Remote power switch Woodfast lathes?

delbs
22nd July 2014, 03:11 PM
Im currently researching what to get for a new lathe. I am interested in a variety of machines but one feature i have come across to really like is on Vicmarc lathes.

They have the remote power switch that can be placed whever you wish so down the right side of the bed so you can knock it off quicker than reaching back up to the left side of the machine.

I really like this feature and wanted to know if i can get a generic one to fit to a woodfast lathe such as

CWS Store - Woodfast C1000X Variable Speed Lathe | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/woodfast-c1000x-variable-speed-lathe)

or any lathe i guess for that matter. Is it something that manually needs to be purchased and put together or can an after market version be bought and wired in?

Thanks in advance!

BobL
22nd July 2014, 03:50 PM
I have seen safety switched extension cords on UK ebay but they are pretty easy to make up.
On my 1HP lathe I used a 10A emergency switch on ebay like this one
Emergency Stop Push Button Power Mushroom Composite Switch Home Office 660V 10A | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Emergency-Stop-Push-Button-Power-Mushroom-Composite-Switch-Home-Office-660V-10A-/191184340815?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item2c8379874f&_uhb=1)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=217179&d=1343299213

I put mine at a height where I can also use my leg/hip to switch it off if I need to.
It is a bit of a nuisance because I sometimes turn it off when I walk past that bench - but better that than the other way around.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=217178&d=1343299213

delbs
22nd July 2014, 03:56 PM
Ah yes that should be faily straight forward to wire up id imagine.

So for something that includes the same functionality as the box on the right side of this page

This Month (http://www.woodturningsupplies.com.au/lathes.html)

"Separate electronic variable speed box that can be mounted away from the lathe and magnetic switch box that can be positioned anywhere
you are working"

Would be specific to Vicmarc only? A feature of purchasing one of their nice lathes?

just like to see if the same level of functionality can be obtained on a woodfast lathe

Pat
22nd July 2014, 06:08 PM
The Woodfast M910 has a remote power switch, mine resides at the tailstock end, unless turning outboard.

delbs
22nd July 2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the info. How long have you owned the M910 for Pat? You happy with it? Looks like a great unit.

Pat
22nd July 2014, 08:45 PM
Hello delbs, I've had my Yellow Peril since November '09. It does everything I need, comfortably. The 250Kg mass is bolted down to the floor, so spindles are easy. it spins bowls to 520mm in board and either 700 with outboard table or 2000 outboard stand. I personally have had up to about 650. The variable speed is an asset, especially the stepped rise. 50 rpm is the slowest thru to 3900 rpm in 5 steps.

I've turned on most of the lathes on the market today and still think that the Yellow peril is up there with the best.

Another thing, I brought direct thru Woodfast and their after sale service is great. This year, I broke the cam of my Banjo. It was replaced by Woodfast. Any other time I wanted something from them, it's been delivered quickly.

Jim Carroll
22nd July 2014, 09:20 PM
There is a couple of differences between the Vicmarc remote and the woodfast remote.

The Vicmarc has a magnet on the back of the switch box so can be placed anywhere you want on the lathe. It also has a reverse switch on the switch box which some find handy.

The Woodfast has dedicated spots on the lathe bed for the switch box as can be seen by the marks on the lathe bed.

Both good lathes but at the end of the day the vicmarc is a better quality lathe.

delbs
22nd July 2014, 09:22 PM
Hey pat. Thanks for the reply mate

This m910 has grabbed my attention because of the feature set and the fact I am looking for longevity here. I don't want to buy another lathe for a long time so I'm looking to future proof. My minimal involvement with woodfast for accessories has been great. I used to own a v1000 1989 model which I had to let go of. But now that I'm looking and researching I'm really leaning towards the woodfast range.

What does the stepped rise do? Change pulleys by a lever or something? I'm not sure sorry my old variable speed lathe had reeve drive pulleys not stepped pulleys :)

Have you used the c1000 range at all? The head stock can turn on the c1000 range yeah? And not on the m910? But I guess if you can turn with outboard then no need to have a head that turns

Cheers
Nathan

Jim Carroll
22nd July 2014, 09:26 PM
There is a couple of differences between the Vicmarc remote and the woodfast remote.

The Vicmarc has a magnet on the back of the switch box so can be placed anywhere you want on the lathe. It also has a reverse switch on the switch box which some find handy.

The Woodfast has dedicated spots on the lathe bed for the switch box as can be seen by the marks on the lathe bed.

Both good lathes but at the end of the day the vicmarc is a better quality lathe.

delbs
22nd July 2014, 09:30 PM
I blame good mate Evanism for tempting me into looking at the larger sized lathes and woodfasts lol

Pat
22nd July 2014, 09:32 PM
Nathan, I have briefly used the C1000. I have never been a fan of headstocks that move:; You also have to think of where you banjo is going to be and if it is strong enough to utilised at full reach . . .

Jim, Vicmarc are there but the hit to the wallet is also there for comparable sized machines:q and for me, at that price range a second hand Stubby 1000 would be in the running.

delbs
22nd July 2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah I've just noticed that Jim. The Vicmarcs look really nice but are quite expensive for the same size equivalent to the m910?

delbs
22nd July 2014, 09:38 PM
I like the 2hp motor and stability of the m910. Also. I will bolt it down in its final resting place also

Old Croc
22nd July 2014, 09:59 PM
Delbs,
When you get your remote, find an old computer hard drive ( most repairers throw them away) and retrieve the super magnets and epoxy them to the back, side and bottom of your remote and you can place it anywhere.
Rgds,
Crocy.

delbs
22nd July 2014, 10:06 PM
Good thing I work in IT. Got plenty of those hardrdrives lying around. Good idea Crocy

delbs
22nd July 2014, 10:29 PM
Good thing I work in IT. Got plenty of those hardrdrives lying around. Good idea Crocy