PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 5

routermaniac
24th June 2005, 06:12 PM
Having started my Darkside apprenticeship a few months ago (after a lot of inspiration from you guys), I naturally have been on the look out for Darkside tools, you know the ones without the power cord and all... :)

Anyway as you may remember a few months back I restored a few old planes, specifically a 4, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, and a 7.

Although I love the 1/2s because of the extra width the 5 1/2 can be a bit on the heavy side for continuous use. So I managed to pick up a stanley 5 which I find much easier to manage for prolonged periods. (especially given that I haven't got a bench yet)

The restoration process was the same a last time, took a little while as the sole was in average shape, but eventually made it.

The first shot shows the team alltogether...

The order from the left..

#4 Stanley with dodgy plastic handles, my general abuse plane
#4 Stanley (a lighter version) with wooden handles
#4 1/2 Stanley
#5 Stanley (the new kid)
#5 1/1 Pope
#7 Carter

All I need now is.... a LA block, a #3 and a #6 and maybe a carriage makers plane :D

JDarvall
24th June 2005, 06:23 PM
Nice collection you've got there.........the no.5's my favorite.....the other one of the stanleys I like is the no.3.........not as wide as the no.4 and 5's.....gives you some more control.....

Now all you gotta get is thicker blades......I reakon........go the hole hog and rig them to work with old matherson blades,,,,,,, means opening the mouth, changing the levers etc......you'll destroy the planes history, but you won't regret it....the improvement such thick blades brings is well worth it....

..or at least, if you think this is too drastic, buy some hock blades or the like.....the blades that come with the stanleys are passable...but are definetly too thin........