PDA

View Full Version : Curious saw blade stamp on J. Taylor & Son Sheffield saw

schuld66
26th July 2014, 09:04 AM
I picked up a saw stamped "J. Taylor & Son Sheffield". It has another stamp further up towards the handle, but it's stamped perpendicular to the maker's stamp (you would read it by holding the saw with the toe straight up and the handle down). It can be seen in the second picture inside the green oval and close up in the third picture.

First off, I looked at the "Checklist of British Saw Makers" and there are several makers that match that name. Is there any way of knowing which one made this saw? Also, anyone know what that second stamp means? Might it say "USE YOUR TIME WELL"?

RayG
26th July 2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Schuld66,

J Taylor & Son, is one of the many brands used by Taylor Brothers.

I'm curious about the other stamp, "USE YOUR TIME WELL" any chance of a better picture?

During the latter part of the 1800's there seemed to be a fashion for cute slogans and puns as part of trademarks, early forms of advertising slogans. The usual Taylor Brothers marks most often include the ADVANCE mark and the Paschal lamb. Lamb of God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_of_God)

Here is a list of Taylor Brothers Registered Marks for future reference.

Ray

schuld66
26th July 2014, 05:04 PM
I'm curious about the other stamp, "USE YOUR TIME WELL" any chance of a better picture?

Ray

Here are a few more pics, not sure if they're better or not.

Cheers,
Dave

pmcgee
28th July 2014, 01:29 AM
Nothing new under the sun :)

OldTools Archive -- thread with message 233233 (http://swingleydev.info/archive/get.php?message_id=233233&submit_thread=1)

Some marks are stamped before hardening and stamp more deeply ... like the TAYLOR line ...

Some were stamped after, like the WARRANTED BEST CAST STEEL

The extra bit looks like an 'after' stamp ... could be for a hardware store? or just extra promo power?

Cheers,
Paul