PDA

View Full Version : 200mm x 32mm width Al-Ox grinding wheel source

Hermit
27th July 2014, 12:17 PM
Morning all. Although this could have been posted in the 'Sharpening' section, I put it here because it relates to sharpening woodturning tools and Al-Ox wheels. I hope that's OK.

I have a Vicmarc 200mm slow-speed grinder, which came with a 36G and a 60G Al-Ox wheel, both 32mm wide. I want to swap out the 36G for an 80G or 120G, but can't find a source of the 32mm wide wheels.

I've looked at my usual suppliers, and asked the Sandpaper Man, but the nearest I can find is 40mm wide, and only 60G.
To fit one of those, I'd have to leave off the safety guard.
Don't fancy that. :no:

I don't want to fit a narrow 25mm wheel, either, unless I really have to.
(And I bought the Vicmarc partly because I thought it'd be easy to get wheels/parts. I didn't realise that 32mm is such an odd size.)

In the longer term, I'll fit a 40mm CBN wheel on that side, so I can safely leave the guard off, but for now does anyone know of a supplier for 200mm x 32mm wide wheels, preferably in 120G or 80G?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: I also have a Vicmarc fingernail grinding jig on the way, due tomorrow or Tuesday, so after a couple of days playing with it I can write a bit of a review on the complete setup.

pommyphil
27th July 2014, 02:21 PM
If possible I'd skip the Alox and go straight to the CBN wheel. a perfect setup and no deadly dust. Phil

Hermit
27th July 2014, 03:06 PM
If possible I'd skip the Alox and go straight to the CBN wheel. a perfect setup and no deadly dust. Phil

Wish I could, Phil, but I already blew the budget for a while buying the grinder. Gotta save for a CBN. I only set out to buy the Vicmarc grinding jig, but before I knew it I also had the grinder. Much nicer than my Carbatec 6" high-speed grinder.
(Almost bought the Gary Pye grinding jig, but on close inspection of both, the Vicmarc was a much better proposition, and only about $10 dearer.)

Since starting this thread, the Sandpaper Man has suggested that I remove the outer cover of the grinding wheel, fit longer bolts and wrap a piece of thin metal around over the original part of the guard, making it wide enough for a 40mm wheel. Sounds good, and looks like the plan so far. I've got some 1mm aluminium sheet that would do it nicely, though I'm not sure if that would be strong enough. It would keep me from getting clothes etc caught on the wheel, but if a wheel exploded the bits might go right through it.

chuck1
27th July 2014, 03:23 PM
Steve I have placed packers so the guard will go back on. The 80 wheel I bought from woodturningsupplies.com.au in Qld at the gap.
It's handy having that bit extra width on the wheel!

Hermit
27th July 2014, 04:10 PM
Steve I have placed packers so the guard will go back on. The 80 wheel I bought from woodturningsupplies.com.au in Qld at the gap.
It's handy having that bit extra width on the wheel!

Yeah, you're right. My 6" grinder has a 40mm wheel on one side and I like it better than the 32mm ones currently on the Vicmarc. More forgiving, for one.

A 40mm wheel should last that little bit longer, too, I'd imagine. (25%, if I figure right - 8mm/32mm = 0.25. 25% wider, so 25% longer lasting.)