PDA

View Full Version : Today's Play Time.....

dougturner
28th July 2014, 11:15 PM
This is what I did in my shed today. I enjoy turning natural edges, and since Jacaranda is such a joy to turn, why not use the wood you enjoy turning to enjoy the turning you are doing? The coin is a 50 cent piece just to show size. 80mm high x 100mm diameter. Finish is EEE and Shellawax. The two pics are of opposite sides of the same piece. The piece is actually going to Japan as a gift. Doug. :U

Rod Gilbert
29th July 2014, 09:50 AM
Hi Doug,
What a great little bowl,jacaranda is a treat to turn isn't it very smooth and consistent in the grain of which it usually has plenty of swirl and pattern in it and it comes of the tool so well. I am sure who ever receives this piece will be very happy with the gift.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

pommyphil
29th July 2014, 12:33 PM
Nice little bowl, good even colour, what did you stain it with ?

dougturner
29th July 2014, 02:52 PM
Nice little bowl, good even colour, what did you stain it with ?

Pommyphil, no stain, jus EEE and Shellawax over natural colour. The "patches" on the sides are bark. Doug. :U

Christos
29th July 2014, 03:11 PM
Really an extraordinary piece. Love the way the lip comes out a little from the bottom half of the piece.

turnerted
29th July 2014, 05:05 PM
Nice little vase Doug.I lookforward to seeing it on Saturday.
You must have photographed this near something red.Even the 50cents has a pink tinge on the edge.
Ted

smiife
29th July 2014, 08:51 PM
Hi doug,
Yeah, it does look a bit pink ?
But it is also very nice in shape and finish
Well done , looks great:2tsup:

dougturner
29th July 2014, 10:38 PM
Nice little vase Doug.I lookforward to seeing it on Saturday.
You must have photographed this near something red.Even the 50cents has a pink tinge on the edge.
Ted

Ted, you are right! It is a bit pinkish now I look at the photos again. I have the original in front of me, and it is the normal honey colour of Jacaranda. It was just photographed on a green sheet background, but under halogen down lights in my study. Maybe the halogen lends a bit of pink to the subject?????

Sorry, it won't be at the meeting on Saturday, as the lady who ordered it is picking it up tomorrow.

I have just photographed it again on a pale blue background under the same halogen lights, but more of them. The colour is now as it should be, so maybe some photography expert can give us all a bit of inside info about lighting. I hope you all enjoy it now it is the correct colour. Doug. :U

Oldgreybeard
30th July 2014, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=dougturner;1794670]Ted, you are right! It is a bit pinkish now I look at the photos again. I have the original in front of me, and it is the normal honey colour of Jacaranda. It was just photographed on a green sheet background, but under halogen down lights in my study. Maybe the halogen lends a bit of pink to the subject????? ]

Hi Doug, You are on the right path - all light has some colour and most cameras are 'balanced' to produce the most natural colour rendition under a clear blue sky. Most digital cameras and photoediting software provide facilities to adjust for the colour of the light - commonly referred to as "white balance". In the majority of cases the "auto" white balance setting on your camera will produce acceptable results - but will frequently produce a colour caste (such as your pinkish tones in the original image" when there is a mix of light sources. I suspect that you may also have had incandescent lights or flourescent lights on and/or that there may also have been some natural daylight blending with the halogen light or your camera was set to "daylight" or "auto" for the white balance.

Correcting the problem can be either simple or difficult depending on your equipment and software. For me, it is simple - I have a professional Nikon camera and use Abobe Lightroom and Photoshop for editing and I always process the RAW data not a jpeg image produced within the camera. I therefore have total control over the colour balance. The only problem is that you could buy 3 or 4 top of the range lathes for the price of my camera outfit and software.

Assuming that you are processing jpeg images and using basic software, there are still a couple of options you can try.

1. Wherever possible use natural light and or flashlight as your light source.
2. Check your camera manual. Does your camera have optional settings for the white balance (may also be called colour correction)? There may be a wheel to set 'sunlight', 'shade', 'cloudy, 'incandescant' or 'flourescant' light options or you may have to do it via a menu option.
3. Does your editing software provide the ability to adjust the colour balance? There may be similar settings to those mentioned above.
4. Can you adjust the colour of the image in your editing software, eg saturation, hue, or individual colours?

Irrespective of the method which you use, the fundemental aim is to render the nuetral colours (generally white or mid grey) as a pure colour - that is, without any colour cast. With basic equipment and / or software, this can be a bit of trial and error. But the good news is that once you have determined these settings, you can use them again and again, so long as the light source remains the same. So if you always take photos of your turnings in the same place and with the same lighting, these settings will always be OK. But as even the difference between a sunny day and a cloudy day will produce slightly different colours, you may find you want to make small adjustments on occassions.

The colour of the subject or the background should have no influence on the colour cast, UNLESS the cast is being caused by incorrect exposure - and that is another subject. If you suspect that you have an exposure problem, you can try changing the exposure metering mode to "Spot metering". You may wish to take a couple of extra shots using the exposure compensation setting or +1 and also -1 stops.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask questions if yu would like more detail.

Bob

Oldgreybeard
30th July 2014, 12:48 PM
Doug, I loaded your second image(from first post) into Photoshop and made 2 adjustments - Exposure and saturation/hue. I didn't have anything as a reference so had to guess what the colours should be based on the colour of the coin. The image was underexposed and I also reduced the saturation slightly and moved the hue towards more green.

Regards

Bob

Hermit
30th July 2014, 08:50 PM
A lovely little bowl Doug. Nice one.

Actually, I liked the pink colour in the first pics. Still looks as good in natural colour though.

dougturner
30th July 2014, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=Oldgreybeard;1794742][QUOTE=dougturner;1794670]Ted, you are right! It is a bit pinkish now I look at the photos again. I have the original in front of me, and it is the normal honey colour of Jacaranda. It was just photographed on a green sheet background, but under halogen down lights in my study. Maybe the halogen lends a bit of pink to the subject????? ]

Hi Doug, You are on the right path - all light has some colour and most cameras are 'balanced' to produce the most natural colour rendition under a clear blue sky. Most digital cameras and photoediting software provide facilities to adjust for the colour of the light - commonly referred to as "white balance". In the majority of cases the "auto" white balance setting on your camera will produce acceptable results - but will frequently produce a colour caste (such as your pinkish tones in the original image" when there is a mix of light sources. I suspect that you may also have had incandescent lights or flourescent lights on and/or that there may also have been some natural daylight blending with the halogen light or your camera was set to "daylight" or "auto" for the white balance.

Correcting the problem can be either simple or difficult depending on your equipment and software. For me, it is simple - I have a professional Nikon camera and use Abobe Lightroom and Photoshop for editing and I always process the RAW data not a jpeg image produced within the camera. I therefore have total control over the colour balance. The only problem is that you could buy 3 or 4 top of the range lathes for the price of my camera outfit and software.

Assuming that you are processing jpeg images and using basic software, there are still a couple of options you can try.

1. Wherever possible use natural light and or flashlight as your light source.
2. Check your camera manual. Does your camera have optional settings for the white balance (may also be called colour correction)? There may be a wheel to set 'sunlight', 'shade', 'cloudy, 'incandescant' or 'flourescant' light options or you may have to do it via a menu option.
3. Does your editing software provide the ability to adjust the colour balance? There may be similar settings to those mentioned above.
4. Can you adjust the colour of the image in your editing software, eg saturation, hue, or individual colours?

Irrespective of the method which you use, the fundemental aim is to render the nuetral colours (generally white or mid grey) as a pure colour - that is, without any colour cast. With basic equipment and / or software, this can be a bit of trial and error. But the good news is that once you have determined these settings, you can use them again and again, so long as the light source remains the same. So if you always take photos of your turnings in the same place and with the same lighting, these settings will always be OK. But as even the difference between a sunny day and a cloudy day will produce slightly different colours, you may find you want to make small adjustments on occassions.

The colour of the subject or the background should have no influence on the colour cast, UNLESS the cast is being caused by incorrect exposure - and that is another subject. If you suspect that you have an exposure problem, you can try changing the exposure metering mode to "Spot metering". You may wish to take a couple of extra shots using the exposure compensation setting or +1 and also -1 stops.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask questions if yu would like more detail.

Bob: you are spot on about the incandescent light! I have 2 down lights in the ceiling of the study, and the original incandescent on a ceiling fan. Well done! I will muck about with my editing software, and see if I can correct the originals. The last photo was taken under only halogen, so that is where my work will be photographed from now on. Thanks heaps for the info, and for taking the time to send it. I am sure there will be a lot more than me who will benefit. Doug. :U