PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood bowl

turnerted
29th July 2014, 05:25 PM
G,day
This is probably my most adventurous wing burl bowl yet.As you can see,the burl was deeply lobulated and had a black hole that I couldn't probe the depth of.To make matters worse,I made the wing too thin and it started to flex but I got there in the end.Unfortunatly there was quite a bit of tearout which was not evident until I had the finish on.
Maximum width across the wing is 370mm and the depth of the bowl is 70mm. The finish is about 5 coats of DO.
I am calling this bloodwood, although it looks nothing like the bloodwood bowl I posted a couple of weeks ago.It came from the same source and had the same corky bark typical of bloodwood.To me this looks typical of a redgum burl but is much lighter and softer.
Hope you like.C&C welcome.
Ted

Christos
29th July 2014, 05:33 PM
Yes it does look a tad thin on the wings.

You have done very well to get this completed and not have it fly off.

tea lady
29th July 2014, 06:18 PM
Pretty good. I think the wings are the right thickness for the design. You just need to not do the whole wing to thinness in one go. Do the outes 2 inches then work your way in so you have more wood supporting it. :cool:

smiife
29th July 2014, 08:41 PM
Hi ted,
Very nice bowl mate, looks good to me!
Well done!:2tsup:

mick59wests
29th July 2014, 08:59 PM
Ted,

another great turning (I do not expect anything less). How hard is it to turn bloodwood? My inderstanding is that it is a very, very hard wood but your piece makes it seem like it would worth the effort. I have a 'few' trees at my place. There is also a burl on the biggest tree that I would need to cut into at least three for me to be able to handle on my lathe.

cheers

Mick

turnerted
30th July 2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Mick.This was considerably softer and easier to turn than the mallee/coolabah/redgum burls that I am used to.As I understand it, the common name "bloodwood", refers to several species that "bleed" red sap when cut .I believe my burl came from the dorrigo area.Not a long way from where you are.
Ted

Hermit
30th July 2014, 08:54 PM
Very nice Ted.
It still amazes me that you blokes can turn things like this and keep them in one piece. :cool:

I'll bet you held your breath a bit when doing those wings.

Ticky
31st July 2014, 01:40 AM
Absolutely Beautiful

Steve