PDA

View Full Version : Filling Cracks and Voids

Willy Nelson
29th July 2014, 07:10 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen

I have my trusted remedies to fill voids and cracks, but I want to get a bit more arty. I have managed to collect about a kilo of brass filings from a Key cutting shop. I am hoping to fill voids etc using the brass and make it a feature.

Now, I am not 100% sure how to do it.

1. I could fill the hole with the brass and back fill it with medium CA glue???
2. Mix the CA glue with the brass filing then fill the void????
3. How do other people do it?
Thanks

Willy

dai sensei
29th July 2014, 07:52 PM
I use brass/copper/aluminium powder with thin CA and no accelerator. With filings it will depend on how fine they are, the courser they are the more voids you have, and the thicker the CA will need to be.

TTIT
29th July 2014, 09:51 PM
What Neil said except for the powders I do it in layers about 2mm at a time as the medium CA sometimes 'floats' on the top of the powder and thin CA sort of flows through without filling the gaps properly :shrug:

Another tip: If the void goes right through, the best tape to stop everything oozing out the other side is 'All Weather' tape. It's clear enough to see when the inside is wet with CA and it doesn't turn to carp and fall off when the CA contacts it like the others. :2tsup:

hughie
29th July 2014, 10:57 PM
What Neil said except for the powders I do it in layers about 2mm at a time as the medium CA sometimes 'floats' on the top of the powder and thin CA sort of flows through without filling the gaps properly :shrug:

Another tip: If the void goes right through, the best tape to stop everything oozing out the other side is 'All Weather' tape. It's clear enough to see when the inside is wet with CA and it doesn't turn to carp and fall off when the CA contacts it like the others. :2tsup:

Yep in layers is the way I do it as well. Brass powder is commercially available and not expensive

Willy Nelson
30th July 2014, 12:09 AM
Wonderful!

Thanks Gents, will be doing some this weekend, I hope!
Willy

burraboy
30th July 2014, 07:43 AM
Brass powder is quite fine and I'd imagine your filings are much coarser than that. I'll be interested to see the results. What about using resin as a medium?

Christos
30th July 2014, 07:21 PM
Personally I like the idea of using resin to fill larger gaps and holes.

Using the filings I would look at small layer of resin then add filings with resin mixed through then more resin to top off.

Disclaimer; As yet I have not tried this so these are just my thoughts. :U

ian thorn
30th July 2014, 08:11 PM
Hi Willy I like the idea of the resin just make sue it is for use with wood as some have seen, have not for use on wood on the label . Also most need to cure at a min of 20dg c. That may be a problem in your cold climate

smiife
30th July 2014, 08:16 PM
Hi guys,
Very interesting post,,, not too sure about resin
I think there could be a problem mixing and putting
in a small amount would the rest of the resin go off!,!:C
I have never used the stuff so what would i know.......:o

Dengue
30th July 2014, 08:19 PM
Why not mix the filings and some brass dust in to epoxy like Techniglue and use that to fill the voids. I assume you are looking to get something that sparkles in the light?

Mobyturns
30th July 2014, 09:13 PM
Why not mix the filings and some brass dust in to epoxy like Techniglue and use that to fill the voids. I assume you are looking to get something that sparkles in the light?

My experience has been that the brass in epoxy goes a blandish brown rather than the nice brassy look we are after. Even after turning & sanding it was pretty bland. Brass powder with thin CA is OK but I would not use it on anything above filling cosmetic cracks.

dai sensei
30th July 2014, 11:57 PM
Yep layers are the way to go. Be aware though, brass only goes shiny if turned and polished at the surface, the rest tarnishes.

Jack Savona
31st July 2014, 12:15 AM
When I get my filings from the key machines, I put a strong magnet in a plastic bag and get all the iron out (without a plastic bag you'll have a difficult time keeping the magnet clean DAMHIKT). Then I pulverize the filings in an old electric coffee grinder. Before layering the powder with thin CA, I coat all the surrounding area with wax so the CA doesn't stain it (more area is better than less). With full voids I found electrical tape works well. After applying CA to the last layer, I quickly sprnkle more powder on top to fill tiny voids in the mound I've created. An old spice continer, well labeled, makes a good dispenser.

The higher the grit, the more the shine.

MrFez
31st July 2014, 03:00 PM
An interesting and informative forum, thanks all. :)

Willy Nelson
3rd August 2014, 11:12 AM
Wow
Despite my own stated intentions, and the excellent advice received here, I decided to ignore it all and do something completely different.

Plastibond, with a small dose of of Diggers Black Oxide is my preferred void, crack and hole filling remedy. I decided, Why not add a teaspoon of the brass filings!!!!????

So, I mixed it all up, then added the part B and promptly filled some cracks in two pieces of Jarrah burl. I then let them sit overnight, then sanded and finished them. The fillings are a reasonable size, but you can just see them. I guess they add a subtlety that may or may not be noticed. I will do this again, might add more filing, photos to come, but I doubt if the camera will pick up the detail
Cheers
Willy

Chief Tiff
3rd August 2014, 05:42 PM
Powdered brass (sometimes called "Bronzing Medium") is what I used to use to "gild" the ship's crests. You just dump it into gold size or another clear varnish and then spend the next six months stirring away! I have also mixed it with epoxy and used it to fill in engraved trafolite with very good results. The powder is incredibly fine; it coats your skin a bit like a butterfly's scales.

Have a word with either the Bosuns or the Chippies on base and see if they have any lying around; mind you that sort of work is a bit of a dying art now so don't be surprised if you get blank looks.

HazzaB
3rd August 2014, 06:52 PM
Hey Willy,
Charlie and the Girls at Resin sales has the powder, the guys have already said that layering is the go, good advice about the magnet in the key cutting swarf, the steel bits are dynamite on your tools, you can get some pretty awesome pigments at Resin sales as well, they also have a new Epoxy casting resin that doesn't shrink, and takes a finish really well. I'm not being paid by Charlie but they are very knowledgable about their products.

HazzaB

Willy Nelson
3rd August 2014, 11:47 PM
Hazza
I agree, Charlie is awesome, and the girls sure do know what they are talking about. Might have to drop up and see him.
Did you enjoy the wood show?
Willy

HazzaB
4th August 2014, 12:41 AM
Hey Willy,

I did enjoy the show, first time I had a good look at everything at my pace, there were some amazing works presented by the School kids, and the big kids did some things with wood that seem to be impossible, and there was a good array of timbers, and it was nice to see the Tassie timbers being bundled up and taken away.

HazzaB