PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood tree decided to lie down.

tea lady
30th July 2014, 06:42 PM
500 mm diam perhaps. Fairly tall. Not quite big enough to slab, but would make good large bowls. Still needs cutting up. Anyone want some? And would like to come and help cut it up? :cute: In Belgrave.

smiife
30th July 2014, 08:29 PM
500 mm diam perhaps. Fairly tall. Not quite big enough to slab, but would make good large bowls. Still needs cutting up. Anyone want some? And would like to come and help cut it up? :cute: In Belgrave.

Hi TL,
I would have thought you would have some volunteers by now
Pity you are too far away for me! !, free wood is hard to come by,,

Hermit
30th July 2014, 08:45 PM
I wish.....

I'm sure there'll be plenty of takers when they see this thread.

Bluegum
30th July 2014, 08:50 PM
Love to help TL. Sadly this thing called work has disrupted my week. I have to bee there dam it.

doug3030
30th July 2014, 08:52 PM
I would love to come over and bring my chainsaw and help you out , Anne-marie. :2tsup:

tea lady
30th July 2014, 09:43 PM
Hi TL,
I would have thought you would have some volunteers by now
Pity you are too far away for me! !, free wood is hard to come by,,It drops out of the sky round here. :D Or the wood fairy leaves it by the side of the road. :cool:

I would love to come over and bring my chainsaw and help you out , Anne-marie. :2tsup:Oh. That would be terrific. How's next Sunday sound? 10th or August. Hopefully a few more bods will also help out. Where's Fly? :hmm:

jay h
30th July 2014, 09:46 PM
Hi TL, when are you thinking of doing this, would love to help and grab some blanks as well. Jay

tea lady
30th July 2014, 09:51 PM
Hi TL, when are you thinking of doing this, would love to help and grab some blanks as well. JayNext Sunday the 10th of August if it is OK with Doug coming from Hoppers Crossing.

doug3030
30th July 2014, 09:59 PM
Oh. That would be terrific. How's next Sunday sound? 10th or August. Hopefully a few more bods will also help out. Where's Fly? :hmm:

Sunday 10th would be ok for me. I have the chainsaw and a winch on the ute if we need it. I would like a piece of the log from near the bottom end suitable to cut into boards on the bandsaw if that is ok?

Cheers

Doug

tea lady
30th July 2014, 10:06 PM
Sunday 10th would be ok for me. I have the chainsaw and a winch on the ute if we need it. I would like a piece of the log from near the bottom end suitable to cut into boards on the bandsaw if that is ok?

Cheers

DougThat would be great. The tree is fallen into the next door neighbour's back yard. Not sure if we can drive to the tree, but at least it is surrounded by lawn rather than scrub like it would be if it fell in my yard.

Will measure tomorrow, but I thinnk the trunk is straight for about 6 feet before a branch. Straight again above it too, but narrower of course. Small stuff can be left for fire wood for the neighbours.

doug3030
30th July 2014, 10:23 PM
Tea Lady, please make some space in your PM box so I can answer you, please

tea lady
31st July 2014, 12:28 AM
Tea Lady, please make some space in your PM box so I can answer you, please:B done.

Ticky
31st July 2014, 01:28 AM
Hi,
As I understand it, Acacia sawdust has microscopic hooks on the fibers, similar to ASBESTOS, and has the same effect on the lungs as asbestos. It would be a very good idea to wear dust masks when working with this timber.

This might not be a huge issue when cutting with a Chain Saw, but when you are finishing you project with sand paper, I believe it is.

beautiful timber though, I have done a couple of projects with Tasmanian Blackwood. Love it

Steve

tea lady
31st July 2014, 11:14 AM
Hi,
As I understand it, Acacia sawdust has microscopic hooks on the fibers, similar to ASBESTOS, and has the same effect on the lungs as asbestos. It would be a very good idea to wear dust masks when working with this timber.

This might not be a huge issue when cutting with a Chain Saw, but when you are finishing you project with sand paper, I believe it is.

beautiful timber though, I have done a couple of projects with Tasmanian Blackwood. Love it

SteveYes know all that.:)

MrFez
31st July 2014, 02:53 PM
I'm in Mooroolbark and would love to help and grab a couple of blanks, only trouble is I'm heading to FNQ for two weeks to get away from the Melbourne Chills. Life's tough but someone has to do it.

A Duke
31st July 2014, 03:47 PM
No pics? Didn't happen.
:q

_fly_
31st July 2014, 04:27 PM
OK, I'll be there, 10th august, you're booked in.
You'll need to PM us a few directions.

Peter

tea lady
31st July 2014, 06:05 PM
Will do. Will also take pics when the rain stops.

smiife
31st July 2014, 08:48 PM
Will do. Will also take pics when the rain stops.

Could be a while then before we see some photos!:roflmao:

tea lady
31st July 2014, 11:08 PM
Could be a while then before we see some photos!:roflmao:Could be. Might have snow on it tomorrow.:C:D

doug3030
31st July 2014, 11:29 PM
Well at least there is little risk that it will dry out too fast and split before we can paint the ends :rolleyes:

tea lady
3rd August 2014, 12:54 AM
Hmm. After closer inspection I don't think the tree is worth farting about with. Not wide enough for boards. And I think it is only a silver wattle. Its quite talle and straight, but is only about 400mm diam. At the bottom and just gets narrower

doug3030
3rd August 2014, 02:02 AM
Hmm. After closer inspection I don't think the tree is worth farting about with. Not wide enough for boards. And I think it is only a silver wattle. Its quite talle and straight, but is only about 400mm diam. At the bottom and just gets narrower

Would you still like a hand to cut it up? I can still come over with the chainsaw and chop it up for firewood if you want. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Pat
3rd August 2014, 08:44 AM
AM, 2 things, send the rain up here and you'll get a few turning blanks, bowl or spindle . . .

tea lady
3rd August 2014, 09:42 PM
Would you still like a hand to cut it up? I can still come over with the chainsaw and chop it up for firewood if you want. :2tsup:

Cheers

DougWell that would be grand. But I feel like it above and beyond the call of duty. I think Its actually the neighbor's responsibility to cut it up. Even though the tree was on my back yard. I am renting though. :shrug: I could tell 'e' you need to be paid in red wine, and I'll do a slap up lunch if you like.

AM, 2 things, send the rain up here and you'll get a few turning blanks, bowl or spindle . . .Not sure the rain will fit in an envelope. Will no doubt get a few bowl blanks out of the tree. Blackwood is nearly passe around here anyway. :P

doug3030
3rd August 2014, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=tea lady;1795861]Well that would be grand. But I feel like it above and beyond the call of duty. I think Its actually the neighbor's responsibility to cut it up. Even though the tree was on my back yard. I am renting though. :shrug: I could tell 'e' you need to be paid in red wine, and I'll do a slap up lunch if you like.

Ok, lets work out the details in PM

Cheers

Doug

tea lady
3rd August 2014, 11:01 PM
:cool: Off to bed to read now though. Speak to you tomorrow.