PDA

View Full Version : Suspended

Dalboy
31st July 2014, 02:39 AM
That is the name I have given this piece. Made for a friendly competition, it is made from Iroko for the base and Walnut for the rest. The base is painted with acrylic paint and then sealed and polished. The piece of Walnut on this is sealed and polished only as is the bowl section. These are joined using a piece of brass rod.

Rod Gilbert
31st July 2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Dalboy,
That is a very nice piece I do like the combination of beautiful grain patten and the black polished base and with the brass rod for support, together they work very well indeed and you're finish is great what did you use to seal the work. Could you please give the dimensions.
Regards Rod.

artme
31st July 2014, 09:19 AM
Beautiful piece Dalboy!! I absolutely agree with everything Rod has said.:clap::clap::clap:

Christos
31st July 2014, 10:21 AM
The patten in the grain really does stand out for me.

Treecycle
31st July 2014, 10:39 AM
Really nicely done and very artistic. Is the base colour sprayed on?

dai sensei
31st July 2014, 11:26 AM
:cool::2tsup:

Hermit
31st July 2014, 12:27 PM
Very, very nice, Derek. I love it. :clap::clap:

Bet you had fun getting the brass rod bent just right. :wink:

I'm interested in what you used over the acrylic too.
(I used WOP over black enamel once. Big mistake - it all peeled off. :oo:)

Dalboy
31st July 2014, 08:45 PM
Thank you all.

Hi Dalboy,
That is a very nice piece I do like the combination of beautiful grain patten and the black polished base and with the brass rod for support, together they work very well indeed and you're finish is great what did you use to seal the work. Could you please give the dimensions.
Regards Rod.

Sorry missed of the size it is 5" tall and the widest point is also 5". Final finish is done with a three mop buffing system

Really nicely done and very artistic. Is the base colour sprayed on?

The black base cover is artist acrylic paint what I did was sand the base to 600grit then wet it and sand again repeat one more time. I then watered down the acrylic paint (not to thin) I applied that with a cloth and wiped it on thinly, this was done three or four times making sure I had a nice even coat all over. This does not take that long as it dries very quickly.
Lastly the base was given three light coats of polyurethane spray on varnish.
Once that was dry(overnight) I buffed the whole thing with the buffing system

Very, very nice, Derek. I love it. :clap::clap:

Bet you had fun getting the brass rod bent just right. :wink:

I'm interested in what you used over the acrylic too.
(I used WOP over black enamel once. Big mistake - it all peeled off. :oo:)

Bending the brass rod was the easiest thing as it was a solid rod. I bent it around the varnish spray tin as it was the perfect size for what I wanted.

crowie
31st July 2014, 09:16 PM
That looks superb Derek...very well done, sir....Cheers, crowie