PDA

View Full Version : In All the Years

Dalboy
3rd August 2014, 03:27 AM
In all the years I have been turning I have not until now turned a Honey dipper, well now I have done 6 all in Beech and finished with food safe Oil. Also managed to turn 5 garden dibbers out of Sapele these I have put some burnt lines every 1". These I have now managed to get down to 1/4hr each from square stock to finished item including the finish which is Danish Oil.

I know I am sad timing how long it takes:C

I am trying to get a small stock up as I want to have a go at craft fairs

chuck1
3rd August 2014, 09:23 AM
That's a great job and good time including finishing! I would be happy with that.

Paul39
3rd August 2014, 12:09 PM
Dalboy,

Don't push yourself to go faster, faster will come the more you do. The honey dippers you might do two at a time. I think fat part to fat part, with handles to the outside would be more stable turning.

When I first started making bowls, it would take 20 to 30 hours to make one. With a piece of dry timber, cherry or maple, I can make an 8 to 10 inch bowl in 2 to 3 hours, start to finish. Six years practice and some better equipment make a difference.

As I don't have to make a living doing turnings, I make the best bowl I can, however long it takes, and get the best price I can through my seller. The shop gets 40%.

Your pieces are very nice.

A Duke
3rd August 2014, 12:34 PM
Hi,
Nice pieces.
All the relatives in the extended family from the UK had never seen a honey dipper till the came to AUS and did not know what it was, the favourite sport among the locals was listening to their guesses as to what it was for.
Good to see you educating them before they leave UK.
:)
Regards

Dalboy
3rd August 2014, 08:11 PM
Thank you all, still got lots of things to make for the stall. So far I have 45 items made for the stall ranging from pens to largish fruit bowd.

Dalboy,

Don't push yourself to go faster, faster will come the more you do. The honey dippers you might do two at a time. I think fat part to fat part, with handles to the outside would be more stable turning.

When I first started making bowls, it would take 20 to 30 hours to make one. With a piece of dry timber, cherry or maple, I can make an 8 to 10 inch bowl in 2 to 3 hours, start to finish. Six years practice and some better equipment make a difference.

As I don't have to make a living doing turnings, I make the best bowl I can, however long it takes, and get the best price I can through my seller. The shop gets 40%.

Your pieces are very nice.

I am not pushing myself this is done at my normal speed, I just timed it for the fun of it and was surprised at how fast I have become from when I started and something like this would have taken at least three hours (Boy was I slow then). It is as you say speed comes with practice.

The honey dipper I did as you say two or three at a time depending on the length of wood the garden dibbers I did one at a time because the wood was offcut of window sills so could only get one at a time from it.

Paul39
4th August 2014, 10:21 AM
I am not pushing myself this is done at my normal speed, I just timed it for the fun of it and was surprised at how fast I have become from when I started and something like this would have taken at least three hours (Boy was I slow then). It is as you say speed comes with practice.

The honey dipper I did as you say two or three at a time depending on the length of wood the garden dibbers I did one at a time because the wood was offcut of window sills so could only get one at a time from it.

Good, you seem to have the system figured out. As I mostly don't know the level of experience, I may give advice that a person has sorted out for themselves years ago.

You do nice work.

greyhound
4th August 2014, 02:30 PM
I cannot see why people use them(honey dippers that is ) must be hard to clean them afterwards ,find a knife works good and just stick in the dishwasher for clean up.:no:
Having said this I have a standing order to make adozen per month and have been making them for overly 3 years so I must be wrong with my thinking or missing out on something ?:doh:
i do not get sick of turning them as I find it very good practice and I have mastered the skew chisel through the process of making them as I try and use the skew for most of the time.
i do veery the design a bit and included different ways to decorate them and to push my skills further.:U
The client I make them for has bees and sells honey and bee stuff at various local markets north east of Melbourne
so now the sun has come out after a very cold start to the day -2 deg it is time to get my little portable Vicmarc with added VSD into the lovely sun shine and turn up some more dippers to keep my stock level up
Graham

wheelinround
4th August 2014, 03:09 PM
:o Oh crap thanks DB forgot daughter asked for one some time ago ...........time I made another one also.

They look good Poh wouldn;t be happy he likes to use his paw:U

Sturdee
4th August 2014, 07:13 PM
In all the years I have been turning I have not until now turned a Honey dipper,

I made one at a Timber and Working with Wood show in Melbourne under the guidance of Tim the Turner a few years back and that got me hooked on turning and still enjoying it.

Peter.

Tim the Timber Turner
4th August 2014, 08:20 PM
That was all a big con Peter.

Now you are drawn into the dark side and hooked for life.

Happy to be the cause of your addiction.

Cheers
Tim:)

Paul39
4th August 2014, 10:51 PM
I cannot see why people use them(honey dippers that is ) must be hard to clean them afterwards ,find a knife works good and just stick in the dishwasher for clean up.:no:Graham

People use a honey pot with a dipper that stays in it. As honey does not spoil, the pot and dipper are washed when the honey is used up.

Pots & dippers:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=615&q=honey+pot+%26+dipper&oq=honey+pot+%26+dipper&gs_l=img.12...1591.7917.0.10759.18.18.0.0.0.0.253.3824.2-17.17.0.chm_loc%2Chmss2%3Dfalse%2Chms2min%3D10%2Chms2max%3D10%2Chmtb%3D120%2Chmta%3D1440%2Chmrde%3D0-0%2Chmde%3D1-0%2Chmmpp1%3D0-5%2Chmmpp2%3D0-3%2Chmth%3D4%2Chmffs%3D10000...0...1.1.51.img..8.10.2264.IPkozITmX9o

Mobyturns
5th August 2014, 06:37 AM
People use a honey pot with a dipper that stays in it. As honey does not spoil, the pot and dipper are washed when the honey is used up.

Pots & dippers:

Just playground equipment for ants here in Oz. :p

Nice work on the honey dippers though.:2tsup:

Dalboy
5th August 2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks all or the comments.

I cannot see why people use them(honey dippers that is ) must be hard to clean them afterwards ,find a knife works good and just stick in the dishwasher for clean up.:no:

Graham

Not only that have you tried to get your toungue into the grooves give me a knife or spoon any day easier to lick clean:rofl:

:o Oh crap thanks DB forgot daughter asked for one some time ago ...........time I made another one also.

They look good Poh wouldn;t be happy he likes to use his paw:U

Now that gives you an excuse to go and play in the shed:U:U

tea lady
5th August 2014, 10:26 AM
Dibblers 15 minutes? Hmm I guess with danish oil. But that is a bit wasted on something that gets stuck in the ground. 5 minutes tops. My 9 year old son could rough then out in 2- Just turning the square into a straight bit of wood.

You'll get there though. Just try to move smoothly and economically.

I thought honey dippers were so people could buy useless things made on Huon pine. Bought one myself years ago with a captive ring in it and everything. But its never been in honey.