PDA

View Full Version : moving house - portable workbench

Clinton
25th June 2005, 11:19 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
My work, in its wisdom, has seen fit to send me from Melb to Toowoomba for the next two years. Aren't i glad that I just bought a house with a fine old shed. (I havn't got a workshop planned out and 1/2 the timber I need for the benches or anything:mad: )
I've hung off getting back into timber/furniture work for the last 11 years, and I thought that the time had come. Well damnit it has.

I will be living in shared accom. for the next year at least, and I am looking for a design for a portable, folding workbench. I am thinking it should be about 900 x 500mm wide when deployed, with folding legs, and folding in the middle (think suitcase with the legs inside). I will want a vise for the bench, or some tricky dogs and clasp system like the Festool idea. I am thinking that I'll have some other 'tables' and a collapsing saw horse. I'll need to be able to throw the lot into the back of a station wagon without taking up too much room. I use hand tools, not power (I'm scared of whirly metal bits due to being cut up enough already).
I am a very fussy workman, so I will be using it for fine detailed work. Work that I will probably stuff up and keep redoing for years till I learn how I should have done it in the first place :)
Any assistance, and Any thoughts very gratefully received.