PDA

View Full Version : Penset

gatiep
26th June 2005, 12:15 AM
Two pictures of a pen set that I made on Thursday to be used as a present.
The pen 9 and pencil 1 are turned from Black Palm. The pen case was bought from Carbatec in Perth, it is Bubinga and Maple. The engraving was done by Adform engraving
The finish..................................................How about you guys have a guess

fxst
26th June 2005, 05:16 PM
The finish..................................................
----------------------------------------------------------
is good? :D
Nice set Joe
Pete

westpest
27th June 2005, 07:14 PM
The finish..................................................How about you guys have a guess

CA

Hey Joe

Just realised I should have said "superglue" because CA is also an abbreviation of that other "finish" that finishes mankind. (although not in your case).....

gatiep
28th June 2005, 02:40 AM
CA

Hey Joe

Just realised I should have said "superglue" because CA is also an abbreviation of that other "finish" that finishes mankind. (although not in your case).....

Nope on CA or superglue.

Any other offers?

Ruffy
28th June 2005, 09:20 AM
EEE & Shellawax :confused:

Dean
28th June 2005, 11:54 AM
schithot waxtik?

gatiep
28th June 2005, 02:37 PM
EEE & Shellawax :confused:

Plus more ?

gatiep
28th June 2005, 02:38 PM
schithot waxtik?

Nope, try again.

DPB
29th June 2005, 10:13 AM
Mineral Oil?:confused:

gatiep
29th June 2005, 11:43 AM
Mineral Oil?:confused:
Nope
It was Shellawax and EEE but before all that I used something else. Something most woodworkers use. Keep guessing.

Geoff Allen
29th June 2005, 02:41 PM
Well Joe, you got me beat.

Personally I find LBow Grease is the only other finish compatible with UBeaut products.

Sometimes I find myself bathing an uncooperative bit of wood in abuse, often finds it works too!

regards

Geoff

gatiep
30th June 2005, 12:24 AM
Are you guys/girls slow with the sugestions in fear of the finishing guru that owns this BB. Don't worry about him, he is probably busy brewing some shellawax for the next WW show.

:D

Captain Chaos
30th June 2005, 01:19 AM
Hello Joe, I'll throw me hat into the ring. How about Sanding Sealer? (Ubeaut, of course!)
Regards,
Barry.

gatiep
30th June 2005, 02:43 AM
MMMMM I knew there would be a brave guy out there.

I sanded to 600. Then applied sanding sealer as I wanted to fill the Black Palm grain. Then sanded with the ultrafine Scotchbrite to smooth down the sanding sealer.Applied another coat and used some Scotchbrite again lightly. Then sanded 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 20000 and finally 25000. Then I applied two coats Shellawax cream to put a shine on ( the sandingsealer I suppose? ).Finally I buffed it with some EEE.

It went down a treat with the person it was presented too as well as the rest of the congregation that had a closer look.

mikmaz1
2nd July 2005, 04:23 PM
hey joe,
nice work on the pens. did you find the black palm splits alot when turned or is it just my bad turning tech!
looked at your pics last night and now ive been out in the shed for the last couple of hours making some boxes similar to the 1 in your pic.
just want to know how thick the lid is and if it is a sliding dove tail or just a slip fit?
seeyasoon mik.

gatiep
2nd July 2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Mik,

Thanks for the nice words, much appreciated.

" did you find the black palm splits alot when turned or is it just my bad turning tech!"

Black Palm can be very brittle. Run some thin superglue over it , then turn down a bit and re-apply again if necessary. If the palm is brittle it will be porous enough to absorb the glue. Do not spin up lathe while glue is unset and use a fan on the work to blow the fumes away when turning.

"looked at your pics last night and now ive been out in the shed for the last couple of hours making some boxes similar to the 1 in your pic.
just want to know how thick the lid is and if it is a sliding dove tail or just a slip fit?"

The box was bought from Carbatec in Perth. I don't have one with me as that one has been presented last Sunday, so I cannot measure the lid. The lid slides onto the base with a sliding dovetail. The box in Bubinga/Maple was only $12-00 from them, so I figured that it wasn't worth making, especially as it was going to be a one off which I needed in a hurry. See their 2005 catalog page 191 for wooden boxes ranging from $6-00 to $12-00.
Good luck

dai sensei
3rd July 2005, 10:58 AM
Black Palm can be very brittle. Run some thin superglue over it...
Using the CA will work, but if you don't have CA, you can also use the 80 grit chisel (ie sand paper) for the last 1mm, then go through the finer grades as usual. The only timber I have found where this doesn't work (so far) is Wenge, where I use the CA treatment.

Cheers

mikmaz1
5th July 2005, 04:53 PM
thanks joe and niel,
i made 5 pen boxes similaar to the one shown , all with sliding d/tails . a couple came out a bit sloppy in the fit ,need to work on tolerances a bit more next time.
various thickness lids , the thicker ones are better to add contrasting wood on the ends ,glueing end grain.
the last time i turned black palm i used niels use of the sand paper for the last mm , so i guess ill keep doing that.
i would like to put pics up but cant size them down , comp illiterut!
seeyasoon mik.