PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone turned grey gum (eucalyptus punctata)?

mick59wests
7th August 2014, 10:12 PM
Hi once again,

has anyone turned grey gum? 'The bloke up the road' says he has some cut down and was I interested. He thought I would want it for firewood but he said it is 'big' - sounds like 500mm diameter so (assuming it is not completely cracked) I could do some gathering but am wondering 'is it worth the effort'? I reckon I have enough wood for turning for probably 2 years and with a couple of nice Forest Oaks on my land, probably much longer.

Anyway, I am at the point when I don't want to just get anything because it is free but I certainly do not mind giving different woods a go.

I would be interested in any other peoples experience to decide do I:
- forget it
- get one decent piece for a few bowls
- take whatever I can manage

thanks

Mick

artme
7th August 2014, 11:29 PM
I am in the process of turning a piece of what may well be Grey Gum or blue gum.

The piece is old and well seasoned but it has turned pretty well. End grain has been a problem but sharper tools would take most of that hassle away.

The grqain is quite attractive in a typical eucalypt way.

I would have no hesitation in doing more turning with it.

mick59wests
8th August 2014, 08:18 AM
I am in the process of turning a piece of what may well be Grey Gum or blue gum.

The piece is old and well seasoned but it has turned pretty well. End grain has been a problem but sharper tools would take most of that hassle away.

The grqain is quite attractive in a typical eucalypt way.

I would have no hesitation in doing more turning with it.

thanks. That makes me think that I should at least go and look and cut at least one log for a few bowls. It is native around where I am so if it is good I should get more chances down the track.
cheers
Mick

Big A
9th August 2014, 11:51 AM
Yes, I would suck it and see if I were you. I have turned some gum offa the bank of the Murray at Rutherglen and it came up a treat. (When I get around to it I am going to post the bowl as a work in progress.)

It is a beautiful salmon pink and has some character in in.

I have also made some crosses out of some local Red/Blue gum and it comes up well too.

The "Grey" would be the external colour, I guess, so there are probably some nice articles in there waiting to be liberated by tools and elbow grease.

Cheers,
Alister.