PDA

View Full Version : Any one seen a McPherson's Powerhacksaw???

DSEL74
7th August 2014, 10:31 PM
Still moving stuff around and trying to get the shed organised. I have realised nothing actually works and will all need, parts, a clean, new blades etc. a lot more work before I can actually do any work :(

Starting on the power hacksaw which I haven't used to date. The "Suds Pump" doesn't seem to be working and isn't in original condition. It isn't surprising since the tray was full of gum leaves and old oil. Looking at the catalog there is something missing of the side of mine and it shows the original position and what the pump nozzle should look like.

There is also old paint on the other side where something has been removed…ideas??

DSEL74
7th August 2014, 10:55 PM
Toothless
The switch is missing and has a short, I don't think this is original

This tank was full of leaves and crud

Looks like the coolant tap is an old lawn mower fuel tap????? NOT original or original position.

You an see some yellow paint here which looks like something was removed??? What???

I have the weight which goes on top, not fitted in photo

Motor specs….A bit crusty

Not sure what the little screw collar adjustment is for and should there be a cap on here. Suggestions of what oil to use?? Currently has some motor oil in it.

Moved the surface plate to the office. Needs a good clean and the base needs the pigeon toed legs straightened and then the whole thing adjusted for level.

Michael G
8th August 2014, 08:18 AM
I suspect that none of your electrics are original - that looks like it was originally running off a flat belt and line shaft.

Michael

DSEL74
8th August 2014, 09:43 AM
I suspect that none of your electrics are original - that looks like it was originally running off a flat belt and line shaft.

Michael

The catalogue shows a motor on the back see first photo in opening post. The vee belt does look awkward though.

Burnsy
8th August 2014, 10:00 AM
I have one at work, not running but complete. I will try and take a heap of photos for you today.

DSEL74
8th August 2014, 10:12 AM
Burnsy that be great

Burnsy
9th August 2014, 11:16 AM
Here are some I grabbed with the phone yesterday, so not the best. It has a non original switch box and a guard fitted (still runs the flat belt). It looks like it was operatiing when first moved to where it is but probably hasn't been for around 8 years. I only took over the workshop 12 months ago and have been to busy with getting everything else cleaned up and running to deal with it yet. It is on the list though and should with a wipe over and oil run when plugged in. If you need high quality photos of anyting in particular drop me a PM with what you want and I will take some and email them to you.

Cheers,
Mike

DSEL74
9th August 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the photos. what does the flat belt pulley on the motor look like. If you decide to upgrade I'd be interested in the flat belt

BobL
9th August 2014, 02:46 PM
We have something like this at the mens shed that I am about to do up. I'll take a look and if it is a MP I'll take some picks

Burnsy
9th August 2014, 02:48 PM
We have something like this at the mens shed that I am about to do up. I'll take a look and if it is a MP I'll take some picks

Do they want to do two and then return ours?

BobL
9th August 2014, 03:24 PM
Do they want to do two and then return ours?

It's not "they" but "muggins" here working on this one.
We have about 20 old machines that "need some work" so you could be waiting for some time.

Burnsy
9th August 2014, 05:22 PM
Looks like a job for the 15 year olds with a heap of rags and bottle of turps then:U

Combustor
11th August 2014, 02:02 AM
Many of the saws of this era used the V belt on a flat pulley as a safety device in case of a jam or overload, allowing the belt to slip before the motor stalled. Worked quite well. The belt would screech and get your attention promptly. Had one of the LOTZE saws as in the brochures shown, worked the same way. Really needed better lube arrangements, or attention with an oil can about every 10 minutes.
Combustor.

Lanza
12th August 2014, 02:22 PM
My dad has one of these, has been used on the farm for many years. 10 years ago I made bronze bushes up for it. The slides are very worn and need attention. I can keep adjusting the clearance for now. What does your hacksaw have in between the top and bottom halves that make contact with the two square bar slides?

DSEL74
12th August 2014, 02:35 PM
My dad has one of these, has been used on the farm for many years. 10 years ago I made bronze bushes up for it. The slides are very worn and need attention. I can keep adjusting the clearance for now. What does your hacksaw have in between the top and bottom halves that make contact with the two square bar slides?

I haven't had that part disassembled. As far as I know like a lot of old machines it just just steel straight against the casting. If I remember I will take a closer look when I am working on it and report back.

robbo37
17th August 2014, 12:30 PM
I'm a bit late on this, but I have one of these. Same motor as yours ( looks like) and flat belt pulley on motor.
Doesn't the screw adjust the rate of down feed? At the moment my motor is not working and I'm trying to decide...new motor or get this one repaired.

DSEL74
17th August 2014, 02:01 PM
I'm a bit late on this, but I have one of these. Same motor as yours ( looks like) and flat belt pulley on motor.
Doesn't the screw adjust the rate of down feed? At the moment my motor is not working and I'm trying to decide...new motor or get this one repaired.

Where is the photos??

I'd love to have the flat belt still on mine or convert it back.

I think the weight is the down feed adjustment. The oil tube and screw I think has something to do with the amount the blade lifts on the backstroke. That is my guess, I could be completely off on that.

Does yours have a cover on it? Mine is open on top.

I imagine it be cheaper to replace the motor but less authentic if that matters to you.

Burnsy
17th August 2014, 11:09 PM
I will get you a photo of the motor pulley, just might take a few weeks, you got my interest and I had a student start to clean it up Friday but it is a bit awkward as there are 50 chickens in a brooder that are in the way at the moment:o

DSEL74
18th August 2014, 08:15 AM
Maybe you can dunk the chickens in turps and they will clean it for you???:;

BobL
18th August 2014, 10:11 AM
If you can coat the machine with canola oil my dogs will lick it clean. They do this to my chainsaw bar and chain.

DSEL74
24th August 2014, 11:04 PM
I picked up some cutting fluid (water soluable) I think this also acts as coolant, and a box of blades. The blades are 18" which are too long but at $2.20 ea I figured I'd cut them down and drill a new hole with a carbide bit. The off cuts may turn into marking knife tips or something.

I am thinking to get a short extension lead and cut the end of to replace the existing cord, and will need to try and find a NOS switch at some stage. In the short term I'll just switch it off/on at the wall.

The idea is to get her working nice and use her for some urgent jobs before giving her new paint etc.

DSEL74
19th September 2014, 10:43 AM
As an update:

I cleaned out the sludge and gum leaves from the coolant tank…how the hell all that got in there is a mystery and makes me wonder where it has been sitting and for how long??? I can't see how to remove the tank/tray so I just tilted it and worked through the gap.

I the jaws on the vice were siezed. I scraped away a bit of crud in the under the ways either side of the thread. Ended up taking the thread all the way out then realising that I wasn't scraping the bottom of the casting it had about a 10mm deep layer of cement that was hard enough to be mistaken for the cast iron. I guess oil, coolant, rust and iron filings had along time to bond and solidify. All cleaned out.

This leads me to my next question…
Can someone take a photo and provide some dimensions for the bolts that hold the pivoting jaws please. Mine has odd bolts and they are obviously not the correct size. I suspect the bolts have a large shank and a stepped down thread or a sleeve goes on the outside of the bolt. One on mine is just a piece of all thread.

The new switch is in, I cut down and re-drilled a new blade, then I did a test cut and she bit in and stopped cutting the belt was slipping at the motor. I re-tensioned the belt by lowering the motor and she cuts fine. The auto stop switch doesn't work now and it did before. So I either changed something with the installation of the new switch or the old hard wires have broken someplace.

Lastly the blue paint is very old and looks original. What color is yours??