PDA

View Full Version : roughing gouge

mat_au
9th August 2014, 03:14 PM
well was watching a video on wood turning and noticed this guy roughing gouge had swept back wings, like a bowl gouge for example.

just wondering if this is a common thing or a specialty thing??

or has anyone done this?

Pat
9th August 2014, 03:24 PM
Mat, have you got a link to this vid.

I relieve the corners off my SRG, but the profile for 95% is straight line.

mat_au
9th August 2014, 03:33 PM
im trying to find it again but it looked like a roughing gouge with an Ellsworth grind

Christos
9th August 2014, 04:45 PM
I think two of our members of the wood turning group has something similar to what you have described. I should have asked to borrow it when I had the chance as the ones that I have are all square to the turning. The wings for mine are very slightly rounded to prevent catches at least that's the theory.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2014, 05:04 PM
It depends on what you use 'em for.

I have a smallish 1" RG that I use primarily for roughing blanks into cylinders. I leave that square across to reduce the number of trips to the grinder... I simply roll it to present a "fresh" edge until the whole edge needs a touch up.

I also have a larger (40mm OD?) one that I grind with swept back wings. Almost a large fingernailed detail gouge profile, but I wouldn't call it an ellsworth. :no: This is because I use it to rough curved, concave sweeps into some forms and the... lack(?) ...of wings means I can safely achieve a tighter curve. Increased versatility there means more trips to the grinder though. :shrug:

turnerted
9th August 2014, 05:11 PM
Mat
If you Google a Utube by Todd Hartzell doing a demo for WGNC ,you will see a demo of a roughing gouge sharpened like this.About 16 minutes in.
I don't know how to do the link, but maybe someone else can do it.
Ted

Pat
9th August 2014, 05:20 PM
Here are some examples, Kelton 19mm Bowl Gouge, P & N 22mm Supa Gouge and P & N 32mm SRG.

The Kelton and Supa Gouges are used for roughing bowl "blanks", usually pieces of log split in half and edges knocked off with a chainsaw.

Pat
9th August 2014, 05:25 PM
Ted, is this the one?

http://youtu.be/lMQSfAxuL8g

Mobyturns
9th August 2014, 05:48 PM
Its a "continental roughing gouge" with a typical grind. Popular in Europe & turners like Eli Avisera market their own versions. Hartzell's has a deeper flute than most.

turnerted
9th August 2014, 06:10 PM
Yes Pat .Thats the one.
Ted

mat_au
9th August 2014, 08:16 PM
yes it was something like that but a normal U shaped roughing gouge

tea lady
9th August 2014, 08:57 PM
Hmm. I'm not going to watch an hour of video to find the bit with the roughing gouge.

Anyway. Roughing with a bowel gouge works pretty well. Works on softer woods better. and maybe smaller dimensions. But you sort of have the handle leading. :think: pretty hard to explain. ..... to get the whole of the wing working. I guess it will require another video to explain.

tea lady
9th August 2014, 09:02 PM
Hmm. Found it. At the 16 ish minute mark. Roughing gouge with swept back wings. I'm not sure he was using it the best way. ....

Paul39
10th August 2014, 01:27 AM
I do mostly bowls, with a few weed pots and tool handles. I don't as yet have a roughing gouge. I use a 5/8 inch bowl gouge with a slightly swept back grind or a heavy 5/8 inch scraper for roughing spindles.

About half of my spindle blanks are quartered logs. The above seems to knock off the corners quickly enough.