PDA

View Full Version : Condensation drops on machine beds!

martrix
26th June 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi, I'm almost sure other people here must experience this problem. During the cold month's, when the sun come's up after a very cold night, condensation forms on the inside of my corrugated iron roof, which then drop's on to machine beds. If not wiped off quick enough, rust patches form! I usually clean the beds with a mix of kerosene/3% engine oil mix for maintenance. Is it a good idea to rub over with a light cutting compund, like an automotive buffing compound? Any idea's or tips on what you currently do?

Redgy
26th June 2005, 02:50 PM
Have exactly the same problem martrix so keen to hear some answers.
Had a drop ruin a drying paint job just last week:mad:

Gumby
26th June 2005, 02:55 PM
If the shed/workshop isn't too big, why not take the roof off and put some foil insulation under it. My garage roof is colourbond with insulation under it and while it gets pretty cold here in the foothills, I've never had condensation on the inside.

Groggy
26th June 2005, 03:16 PM
Any idea's or tips on what you currently do?At the moment I use a non-silicon based automotive polish and drape sheets over the machines each night. Fitted sheets are best (floral sheets are the worst).

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 03:29 PM
I don't have condensation, but I do have lots of salt-laden humidity.

All have ply sheets directly on the surface, sheets over them, and the surfaces waxed (silverglide).

Cheers,

P

knucklehead
26th June 2005, 06:21 PM
Its a particular problem with colour bond roofs. If the pitch of the roof is 10 degrees or less condensation may drop off rather than run away.
A lot of the Titan type shed have 10 degree roof pitch.

How do you fix it?
Buggered if I know.

Stylesy
27th June 2005, 06:12 PM
GF's father has the same problem. A mate who's a roof plumber said that one quick fix was to run shade cloth underneath the roof. Don't know how well it would work, but he waffled on about the open weave versus the increased humidity in the air space versus this and that - and then I remembered I'd left a drink somewhere. But he reckons it works anyway FWIW.

Cagey
27th June 2005, 07:26 PM
colorbond/zincalume roofs on prefab sheds are usually mounted on timber batterns. Just nail any old cheap thin crap ply to underside to run away from your machine etc. as for protecting paint jobs how about those kids tents to sit over it overnight. Will help with dust too.

bsrlee
28th June 2005, 12:07 AM
You can buy 'curtain liner' fabric with an acrylic (rubber like) coating on one side - put it over the machines coated side up to deflect the drips. The un-coated side should stop moisture collecting on the underside, which is a problem withy plastic sheeting.

Plan 'B' - just get some cheap material - calico, bed sheet etc - and put it under the roof battens with nails & washers, glue or whatever - it will stop the drips from reaching the machines & the drips will spread out in the material to dry out later. This is the same system used in slab huts & old style tents to stop leaks/drips from reaching the occupants.

paul.cleary
28th June 2005, 07:19 PM
A good coating is to use a homemade furniture wax (candlewax + oil + vege turps) to wipe a thin coating over the iron surfaces. It is far less threatening to wood than machine oils or CRC.

Iain
28th June 2005, 08:41 PM
I used to use flannelette sheets, found they had a better absorbsion rate that cotton.
I now have a insulation layer and is no longer a problem, however, I do still get birds in at night which crap on everything :mad:

Auld Bassoon
28th June 2005, 09:35 PM
At the moment I use a non-silicon based automotive polish and drape sheets over the machines each night. Fitted sheets are best (floral sheets are the worst).Floral sheets on a T/S, Jointer, B/S, & whatnot? yoiks!

Cheers,
Steve B

Sprog
28th June 2005, 09:37 PM
Read Gumbys post

Insulation