PDA

View Full Version : Trim for 14mm MDF............Help Needed

NewLou
26th June 2005, 06:20 PM
Gidday :)

I've been recently working with some 14mm MDF on a small cabinate style Tool Trolley. I've been thinking about what would be the best way to trim the edges (Face where doors for the cabinate go) so that I can attach some really solid Hinges for doors.

HAs anyone got some feedback on what they use as Trim on what normally would be considered the end grain edge of 14mm MDF?? ............At this stage I'm a bit lost on this one:confused:

REgards Lou

craigb
26th June 2005, 07:14 PM
Any bit of hardwood would do I reckon. After all it's only a tool trolley.
Why not just use the socket type hinges though?
I don't know the correct name but the ones that are on kitchen cabinets and the like. Then you don't need to bother with the trim.

Kiwibrucee
26th June 2005, 08:05 PM
Hi, I think they are called cup hinges or something like that, the best part about these hinges is their adjustability. Even if things don't line up exactly you can adjust them in & out, up & down and side to side, which is why they are used on kitchens so much.

You just need a 35mm forstner bit to drill the cup holes. If you are a master craftsman like some of the forum members :D then you don't need the adjustability but for the rest of us it makes things much easier.
Oh and they are designed for manmade board like MDF.

cheers Kiwibrucee.

Kiwibrucee
26th June 2005, 08:09 PM
Oops! Just noticed you said you are using 14mm MDF. I think most cup hinges are made for 16 -19mm board.

if so please ignore my last post.

Kiwibrucee

zathras
26th June 2005, 09:13 PM
The hole for the cup part of a blum hinge needs to be about 11mm deep.

I used some 12mm MDF once, and you can tell where the 1mm remains as it is just that little bit too flexible. It was only for some workshop doors so I don't mind.

I'm too tight to buy the 35mm forstner bit, but use a template with my router to cut the cup out. Almost as quick as using the drill, all you need do is mark the centre line of the hole and fix the template and away you go.