PDA

View Full Version : MC 612 Drive belts

The Wood Tech
15th August 2014, 10:44 PM
Hi All,
New to the forum thing so please excuse any errors. So time back I read a post by another member regarding the purchase of drive belts for a MC 612 mini lathe. The member was situated in WA I believe and to cut a long story short had found a place to purchase said item. I now find myself in the same situation as the supplier ( Timbecon) no longer stock them. I am hoping that one off your members can help with an alternative .
Cheers The Wood Tech.

turnerted
16th August 2014, 05:27 PM
Try looking on Google or in the phone book for suppliers of drive belts then take your old belt to them and ask if they supply one.
Ted

Simon Gobby
2nd October 2014, 10:39 PM
Hi All,
New to the forum thing so please excuse any errors. So time back I read a post by another member regarding the purchase of drive belts for a MC 612 mini lathe. The member was situated in WA I believe and to cut a long story short had found a place to purchase said item. I now find myself in the same situation as the supplier ( Timbecon) no longer stock them. I am hoping that one off your members can help with an alternative .
Cheers The Wood Tech.

G'Day

I used to be the repair manager for Timbecon for many years. I know the belt you are looking for. If I didn't have any from the manufacturer I used to source them from a local belt supplier in Perth, Transeals. I can't remember the numbers you need but if you take the original belt in the guys there, they are really good at matching things up.

Timbecon has changed hands back to the original owners and I am getting back to my old job (abet part time) and I've been told there are a pile of spare parts there. I get a look at them tomorrow. If I see one I'll let you know. It's been about 7 years so no promises, but I will do my best.

marita
5th March 2015, 05:09 PM
Hi Simon,

Do you know if Timbecon has them? I'm fixing up a Sherwood MC612 mini lathe that I got but it had string and wax instead of drive belts (which was a pain to remove). I've been struggling to find a replacement belt without a model number.

I measured it with some string and it's a 5mm belt that is 420mm (16.5 inches) long. Transeals ad CBC both said they don't stock anything that small.

Thanks,

Marita

G'Day

I used to be the repair manager for Timbecon for many years. I know the belt you are looking for. If I didn't have any from the manufacturer I used to source them from a local belt supplier in Perth, Transeals. I can't remember the numbers you need but if you take the original belt in the guys there, they are really good at matching things up.

Timbecon has changed hands back to the original owners and I am getting back to my old job (abet part time) and I've been told there are a pile of spare parts there. I get a look at them tomorrow. If I see one I'll let you know. It's been about 7 years so no promises, but I will do my best.

Christos
13th March 2015, 07:44 AM
Hi Simon,

Do you know if Timbecon has them? I'm fixing up a Sherwood MC612 mini lathe that I got but it had string and wax instead of drive belts (which was a pain to remove). I've been struggling to find a replacement belt without a model number.

I measured it with some string and it's a 5mm belt that is 420mm (16.5 inches) long. Transeals ad CBC both said they don't stock anything that small.

Thanks,

Marita

If you were in Sydney I would suggest taking the pulley as an example to Lewis Pulleys, http://www.lewispulleys.com.au/ so they can match the belt with the pulley. They should be some local suppliers that could assist. You could try Timbercon to see if they have this in stock.

marita
20th July 2015, 01:37 AM
Great news, my wood turning teacher has managed to get the mini lathe working for me. We replaced the non existent belt with a bandsaw part CTJ 3501 belt from Carbatec. It took a bit of force to get the machine apart to replace the belt but it was worthwhile.
Replaced the fuse with a 1.5 amp fuse to give it slightly more grunt. The old broken fuse was a 1amp fuse, and the motor is a 1/4 horsepower motor.
All the plastic handles had been snapped off so we had to turn new handles and make them fit over the broken plastic that the screws were cast in to. It works like a dream.

We also turned a small replacement wheel to go on to the reverse thread at the end of the lathe.
There's not much on the net about these lathes so I hope this helps anyone else whose mini lathe breaks.353036

dai sensei
20th July 2015, 11:02 AM
Fuses are there to protect sensitive components, so using a larger one doesn't give the lathe more grunt, it just poses more risk to the components. Although 1amp is pretty small and don't know so not sure what difference going to 1.5amp will make

Paul39
21st July 2015, 06:12 AM
Fuses are there to protect sensitive components, so using a larger one doesn't give the lathe more grunt, it just poses more risk to the components. Although 1amp is pretty small and don't know so not sure what difference going to 1.5amp will make

Assuming 1 HP uses 746 watts, 1/4 HP would use 186.5 watts divided by 240 volts equals .777 amps. The one amp fuse is the correct one. Using a 1.5 amp one with a heavy load over a long time could cause the magic smoke to come out of your motor.

An overload for a long time would cause the one amp fuse to blow. Fuses are cheaper than motors.