PDA

View Full Version : At last: the Alien 8 Supertruck

Leo_3344
16th August 2014, 02:40 AM
Started a few days ago wiht this new truck, followong the "Alien" series. To make it interesting: it's supposed to have four front wheel steering. I've just completed the test, and it should work. As a favor to you all, I took pictures of all the steps I went through to make the steering.

Repliconics
16th August 2014, 04:22 AM
Not only every kool.
But very clever :2tsup:
Really looking forward to watching this one!

Cheers
Trev.

Pogo02
16th August 2014, 04:35 AM
Great thinking!

crowie
16th August 2014, 09:15 AM
G'Day Leo, Good to see your creative juices are again flowing in the Alien Series....
That steering mechanism is first class, sir....
Got to pull up a seat for this one.
Cheers, crowie

PLD
16th August 2014, 09:42 AM
Yes, "clever" is the word. That is ingenious. That is going to be interesting.

Keith_1
16th August 2014, 09:55 AM
Beautiful stuff Leo.

Regards

Keith

oneye
16th August 2014, 01:32 PM
Really neat.
can't wait to see it finished.
Always like to see your creations they are awesome.

Dalboy
16th August 2014, 09:42 PM
Looks like another of your fantastic builds Leo. I will be following as usual:2tsup::2tsup:

The steering is looking great I presume that the main link arm that goes to both units is moved by the centre pin through the base board.

Christos
20th August 2014, 10:40 AM
I pulled up a chair to watch this one.

McNeil
20th August 2014, 01:00 PM
I'll be watching this also.

Leo_3344
27th October 2014, 01:52 AM
Not satisfied with wat I've made so far, I trew the whole thing away and started over, this time with better results!

Repliconics
27th October 2014, 06:04 AM
Really nice piece of work that Leo.
You've kicked it up a gear alright.
It seems a bit of a shame that the steering mechanism ends up hidden away.
Have you thought about making the base plate out of Perspex.
Great work mate :2tsup:

Cheers
Trev.

Pogo02
27th October 2014, 04:54 PM
This looks great! I can't wait to see the end result.

crowie
27th October 2014, 08:40 PM
Not satisfied with wat I've made so far, I trew the whole thing away and started over, this time with better results!

Leo, you are brilliant sir...you imagination and engineering is amazing..... cheers Peter

Leo_3344
28th October 2014, 03:10 AM
Really nice piece of work that Leo.
You've kicked it up a gear alright.
It seems a bit of a shame that the steering mechanism ends up hidden away.
Have you thought about making the base plate out of Perspex.
Great work mate :2tsup:

Cheers
Trev.
Did'nt think about that, maybe next time (when I have more time) I'll use perspex! Thanks for the comment!

Leo_3344
28th October 2014, 04:51 AM
Haven't got much time, 'cause I'm invited for an exhibition on november 9, so I have to hurry to get this truck ready! And this week my grandson is staying to play... The upload jumbled the pics, but I'm sure you can work it out. Except for the gears there are no plans, sorry!

Repliconics
28th October 2014, 05:09 AM
Fantastic work Leo!
It's going to look a million dollars (I'm not sure what that is in Euro's).

Cheers
Trev.

Leo_3344
28th October 2014, 05:17 AM
Fantastic work Leo!
It's going to look a million dollars (I'm not sure what that is in Euro's).

Cheers
Trev.

I would'nt know, hope to sell it for € 100... (about $ 133) :wink:

Leo_3344
30th October 2014, 06:46 AM
Finished the rear, with a valve wich can be lifted. The parts on the last pic is to lift it up...

Repliconics
30th October 2014, 07:32 AM
Very Kool Leo.
Great work mate enjoy every minute of this!

Cheers
Trev.

Dalboy
30th October 2014, 08:12 AM
Always like to see your builds Leo. I like all the little bits that are added lie the steering mechanism.

crowie
30th October 2014, 09:06 AM
G'Day Leo,
The price you said sounds way too low for such and initiative design along with the craftsmanship & time to built it...
Thank you for the extra time and effort to do the "work in progress" photos and build notes, very much appreciated..
Cheers Peter

Leo_3344
30th October 2014, 05:45 PM
G'Day Leo,
The price you said sounds way too low for such and initiative design along with the craftsmanship & time to built it...
Thank you for the extra time and effort to do the "work in progress" photos and build notes, very much appreciated..
Cheers Peter

I really do not mind selling my stuff at a rather low price, Peter. I'm enjoying the desingning and building! That's wat matters for me.

crowie
30th October 2014, 07:18 PM
I really do not mind selling my stuff at a rather low price, Peter. I'm enjoying the designing and building! That's what matters for me.

WOW & WOW, Leo...

some extremely lucky person if not child is going to own one of your original masterpieces for next to nothing....

wish I lived closer and could enter the race to the stall, get there first and hand over the cash.....

cheers, Peter

Leo_3344
31st October 2014, 06:40 AM
The mechanism turn on the first rear axle, so to get a greater height. Here I've used one screw and a piece of nylon rope, wich are the only non-wood parts. The wheel one one side and stop on the other fits nicely between the front and rear of the whole truck!

Leo_3344
1st November 2014, 03:30 AM
The last part befor attaching the wheels permanently. On this part the loader will be glued, it turns on the rearmost rear axle. Don't look at the rest of my workbench, please!!!

Dalboy
1st November 2014, 03:36 AM
The last part befor attaching the wheels permanently. On this part the loader will be glued, it turns on the rearmost rear axle. Don't look at the rest of my workbench, please!!!

Model looking great Leo.

As for the bench that is a proper one as it is a working bench not for show:;

Leo_3344
2nd November 2014, 07:10 AM
At last, the "Alien 8 Supertruck Mark II" is finished... The mechanism for lifting completed, it turns on the two rear axles. The "hubcabs" (I'm not sure that's the right word) on the front wheels are neccesary because the axles do not turn! On the rear wheels they are decoration to make all the wheels look alike. Total lenght is about 70 cm, height is about 22 cm and wide is 25 cm. Weight is almost 4 kg (do you measure weight in kgs, or something else?). Questions you might have will be answered except about plans: there are NO plans except in my head... and considering my age they will be deleted in a short while... :wink:

crowie
2nd November 2014, 08:05 AM
At last, the "Alien 8 Supertruck Mark II" is finished... The mechanism for lifting completed, it turns on the two rear axles. The "hubcabs" (I'm not sure that's the right word) on the front wheels are neccesary because the axles do not turn! On the rear wheels they are decoration to make all the wheels look alike. Total lenght is about 70 cm, height is about 22 cm and wide is 25 cm. Weight is almost 4 kg (do you measure weight in kgs, or something else?). Questions you might have will be answered except about plans: there are NO plans except in my head... and considering my age they will be deleted in a short while... :wink:

In a word Leo - MAGNIFICENT - top job, cheers, Peter

Pogo02
2nd November 2014, 08:31 AM
The "hubcabs" (I'm not sure that's the right word) on the front wheels are neccesary because the axles do not turn!The hubcabs look like they belong there! Your model looks great. Please let us know if it sold, and maybe some pictures of your stall?

rwbuild
2nd November 2014, 09:32 AM
Now thats what I call a one off collectors piece.

Absolutely magnificent, wouldnt surprise me if someone from one of the earth moving manufacturers sees it and develops the concept

Repliconics
4th November 2014, 03:21 PM
Absolutely fantastic work Leo.

Cheers
Trev.