PDA

View Full Version : Band saw Cutting a Car in Half

bosox
16th August 2014, 08:28 AM
Just saw this today. What's the size of this band saw ?

http://sawblade.tv/video/curiosity-series-06-cutting-subaru-car-2/

.RC.
16th August 2014, 09:32 AM
Bit gimmicky to me.

Cutting 1mm sheet steel is not much to spruik about...

Now if they had have sectioned the engine lengthways...

Now this is cutting http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/07/image-of-the-day-a-huge-ship-sawed-into-pieces/59656/

NCArcher
16th August 2014, 10:06 AM
J What's the size of this band saw ?

60 inch. And it would have been more impressive if they cut it long ways.

Gerbilsquasher
16th August 2014, 10:30 AM
When I was a youngster I was most impressed with my brother's ashtray that he made by cutting through a piston on the axis of the gudgeon.

Years later.... meh....

bosox
20th August 2014, 07:57 AM
Bit gimmicky to me.

Cutting 1mm sheet steel is not much to spruik about...

Now if they had have sectioned the engine lengthways...

Now this is cutting http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/07/image-of-the-day-a-huge-ship-sawed-into-pieces/59656/

Wow! That's a jaw dropper. How did they sawed it in half? What kind of band saw that can do it.

bosox
20th August 2014, 08:19 AM
60 inch. And it would have been more impressive if they cut it long ways.

Thanks for the info. Yea, I agree with you. I wish they'll do something more massive cutting like .rc. posted/ .

nadroj
20th August 2014, 09:23 AM
I knew someone who reckoned he often cut cars up using a woodworking hand held circular saw. Possibly a little dangerous?
Something I tried is cutting sheet steel with a circular saw, with the blade mounted backwards (not a tipped blade). This cuts by friction, and produces less of a burred edge.

Jordan

Gammaboy
20th August 2014, 03:40 PM
I knew someone who reckoned he often cut cars up using a woodworking hand held circular saw. Possibly a little dangerous?
Something I tried is cutting sheet steel with a circular saw, with the blade mounted backwards (not a tipped blade). This cuts by friction, and produces less of a burred edge.

Jordan

I once cut up a car with a jigsaw...

welder
20th August 2014, 06:16 PM
Wow! That's a jaw dropper. How did they sawed it in half? What kind of band saw that can do it.

Diamond Wire It was an amazing operation like all heavy salvage :oo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ENOJBLVgjw

Grahame Collins
20th August 2014, 06:54 PM
Not impressed at all ..6mm or thereabouts of . It is no test to the capacity of the bandsaw, at all. The harmonics transmitted from the sheet steel might be interesting though.

If you think about it, the pitch of the saw teeth would be no where suited to the sheet thickness.Ie not a real market for sawing single thickness sheet metal on edge.

IMHO the clip is an out and out gimmick and does little to demonstrate the capabilities and qualities of the blade.To those who use the larger size bandsaws a lot, it wouldn't provide them a good reason to switch blades

It sounds like this company may be a new player in the market and are seeking recognition. Was it me ,deaf as a post or did the presenter offers very little in the way of information about the blade specs .its feed rate and feet per minute.

Saw a bulldozer in half - that WILL impress me.:D

EDIT OK ! Sawing a ship in pieces and underwater to boot,is impressive .:oo: It is almost like something from a James Bond movie .

Grahame

.RC.
20th August 2014, 07:13 PM
I once cut up a car with a jigsaw...

I once cut the top off a caravan with a chain.... It involved two trees a tractor and a strong chain... instant flat top trailer :)

Grahame Collins
21st August 2014, 02:32 PM
I once cut the top off a caravan with a chain.... It involved two trees a tractor and a strong chain... instant flat top trailer :)
But was it done with Precision and did it take time ? :D:D:D:D

I have seen farmers cut down trees with two tractors and a strong chain:D:D