PDA

View Full Version : Paper Towel Holder

Christos
16th August 2014, 10:04 PM
I had some NZ Kauri Pine left over from another project that had been completed quite some time ago. Now I was sort of between projects so I thought I would make a very quick paper towel holder.

As you can see the design is very simple and very little could go wrong.

Well I managed to stuff it up. :doh:

I started with the base and of course this was way too small for your normal paper towel. I pull out another piece of NZ Kauri Pine with the base a little bit wider. I then turned the shaft and attached this to the base with the created tenon.

Now I thought what am I going to do with the second base. Made another shaft and this became a toilet roll holder. :;

So what started out to be a quick project while waiting for finish to dry ended up as a project in itself. At least I got some practice on the skew.

issatree
17th August 2014, 02:54 AM
Hi Christos,
They were most likely the 1st. things I made to sell all those years ago.
So all the Family have them around, & if I have to go, I always have a look at the Bottom where I have Signed, Dated, & the Wood I used.
The One the other day said 1983.
Christos, I wood do quite a bit more Turning on mine Pole & Bottom & they wood hold 4 Rolls.
Then found a book by Anders Thoren, & I copied quite a few designs out of it & one was The Toilet Roll Holder.

Big A
17th August 2014, 08:15 AM
I have made a few of these, as I think they are easy and good to trial with. Spindle and faceplate/chuck work, cutting a tenon and boring a hole. I make the base 150mm across so that it can take the "super" size rolls, and the spike about 30mm thick.

Some of my spikes are a bit err phallic looking and I do have a photo of one complete with condom!

As for the skew, I use them as a negative rake scraper. I also use scrapers to make the spike out of a stick. I seem to have a bit of a scraping habit and I really should do more cutting.

Cheers,
Alister.

chuck1
17th August 2014, 09:39 AM
Looking good christos, I have moved away from the straight shaft.
I found one of my old toilet roll holders and it has a design fault?! You can't put cheap toilet paper on it as the shaft is to Big!

Christos
17th August 2014, 10:04 AM
.... I always have a look at the Bottom where I have Signed, Dated, & the Wood I used.
The One the other day said 1983......

Now that's a piece that lasted and is still functional.

....I found one of my old toilet roll holders and it has a design fault?! You can't put cheap toilet paper on it as the shaft is to Big!

I have thought about that as the majority of the plastic and metal holders have a very thin diameter.

I might end up making a few more and this time giving them away to friends.

Big A
17th August 2014, 09:08 PM
Aah! The good old BRH - Bog Roll Holder!

Cheers,
Alister.