PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Circle Cutters

OtakiriLad
26th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Last weekend I bought one of Carba-Tecs double-bladed circle cutters - somehow they had stuffed up the pricing and they had stickers on them for $89 instead of the catalogues price of $129 - so I couldn't resist.
Anyhow I have been using it to cut wheels for toys out of 25mm hardwood and after only four or five wheels cut it is getting quite blunt. What is the recommended method of sharpening? Do I just use a grindstone or try and hold the blades at the correct angle on an oilstone etc? Also how do I ensure I retain the blades at the same length?

Dave

Schtoo
27th June 2005, 02:24 AM
I used a hand held diamond lapping stone thing last time mine needed touching up.

Mine is only single bladed, so it was hard to make a mess of (I tried anyway... ;) ), so I don't know how you should go about making sure it's all working correctly.

Maybe, if the blades are getting out of kilter too far, chuck it up in the drill press, take the drive belt off and spin the spindle by hand while 'jointing' the edges as it goes round slowly. Not sure if it will work, just an idea. :D