PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Collection

DPB
27th June 2005, 12:44 PM
Dust collection has become an important topic for woodworkers and rightly so. My research indicates breathing wood dust is probably the biggest health risk the woodworker faces.

However, as the following quote from the Laymar Crafts web site indicates, there is little written about dust collection for the lathe.

"Over the years there have been many articles and papers covering the subject of "Dust Collection" but very few, if any, have tackled the subject in relation to the Lathe, every other Machine but never the Lathe, why? because I am convinced it is a too difficult a subject and no Machine available offers an ideal solution."

Here's one solution sold in the US for USD20.00, but due to its bulk probably too expensive to import to Australia. It would not be that difficult to make.

http://img208.echo.cx/img208/4193/67899lg4ub.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us/)

Perhaps a better solution is thoroughly discussed and illustrated here.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip15.htm

I would like to hear from Australian turners about their solution.

rsser
27th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Yes you're dead right Woodchuck. Dust particles are probably carginogenic, on a par with asbestos.

There have been a bunch of posts, on this and other forums, about people's solutions. Consensus is that multiple methods of venting, gathering and filtering are needed.

arose62
27th June 2005, 05:37 PM
"Here's one solution sold in the US for USD20.00, but due to its bulk probably too expensive to import to Australia. It would not be that difficult to make."

So, we go to Bunnings, buy a turned table leg (or newel post, or whatever), and stick it on our lathe????:confused:

Viola, no dust at all!;)

I note that there is no dust AT ALL in the clear dust collection hood or hose, and from the hand position, I'm guessing the poser has never turned that lathe on. Bet he bought the piece already turned.

$US 20 is a pretty good price for the leg, compared to Bunnies.

Cheers,
Andrew

RETIRED
27th June 2005, 05:44 PM
Interesting use for a parting tool. :D

silentC
27th June 2005, 05:58 PM
Whatever you use needs to be repositional. That hood looks like it is fixed.

I picked up an old computer monitor arm from the tip (got two actually) and a 12" cone-shaped lampshade for a couple of bucks. I attached the hose from the dust collector to the lampshade and attached that to the monitor arm. The monitor arm clamps onto a bit of 4x2 which I clamp to the ways somewhere out of the way. The arm allows me to move the whole thing laterally along the length of whatever I'm turning and it pivots so I can bring it closer as things get smaller or push it away for access. It's probably about 60% efficient when turning but closer to 100% when sanding.

DPB
27th June 2005, 07:10 PM
Yes you're dead right Woodchuck. Dust particles are probably carginogenic, on a par with asbestos.

There have been a bunch of posts, on this and other forums, about people's solutions. Consensus is that multiple methods of venting, gathering and filtering are needed.I don't want to be "dead right" - my preferrence is to be "alive and right".:D

Yes, the posed picture is obvious. But what about the idea? That hood would be easy to make from MDF or even clear acrylic. I'm not sure that I would want a piece of plastic riding on the turned piece as shown. However, it is adjustable both in and out as well as along the lathe bed.

Take a look at the link below the picture. A Brit who has designed a similar idea but placed an overhead down draft fan to blow the dust down and away from the operator.

I think I'm going to experiment with my version using a blend of both of these ideas.

Red neck
27th June 2005, 08:05 PM
Interesting use for a parting tool. :D

Yes , but notice how efficient the collector is. Even with high speed photography that stopped the grain dead in its revolving tracks, not one dust particle to be seen. :rolleyes:

Baz
27th June 2005, 08:38 PM
There was an article in the AWR some time ago by Richard Raffan on his solution to dust collection .OK I did a search and it is in AWR#30, this might give you some ideas. I use the Carba-Tec "Big Gulper", not in the current cattle dog, it's the best I have had so far but still far from ideal.
Cheers
Barry

ozwinner
27th June 2005, 09:02 PM
Bunnies have rain hoppers that might do the job, they are in 90mm though.
I dont know how much $$$$$.

Al :)

dai sensei
27th June 2005, 09:20 PM
I would like to hear from Australian turners about their solution.
Good approach Woodchuck.

I don't believe there is a perfect system for the lathe, as every piece you turn is different. The box shown for example would be Ok for a lot of stuff but no good for large bowls. The site you gave also showed some very good ideas, especially the big sucker from below option, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

I tried various shapes and positions to collect the sawdust from my lathe without luck. No matter what I do I end up with shavings all over me. Having said that, Bill Pentz (the DC guru) advises it is the small stuff you really need to worry about, mainly from the sanding. A strategically placed hose connected to a decent DC system should suck most of that away.

For my lathe I ended up building a hopper of sorts that collects everything that drops with the DC connected at the lowest point. I must admit it is more a shavings collector than a dust collector, but I wear a mask similar to the first one shown all the time to ensure I don't breath in the fine stuff. A full mask similar to the second one is probably the way to go to avoid it all.

Cheers

gatiep
28th June 2005, 02:35 AM
"Here's one solution sold in the US for USD20.00, but due to its bulk probably too expensive to import to Australia. It would not be that difficult to make."

So, we go to Bunnings, buy a turned table leg (or newel post, or whatever), and stick it on our lathe????:confused:

Viola, no dust at all!;)

I note that there is no dust AT ALL in the clear dust collection hood or hose, and from the hand position, I'm guessing the poser has never turned that lathe on. Bet he bought the piece already turned.

$US 20 is a pretty good price for the leg, compared to Bunnies.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reminds me of a setup at last years Wood show in Perth where one of our suppliers set up a table leg in a lathe with a copy attachment. They thought it looked great!
Problem was that the idiots put a template in the copier which didn't even half match the leg they were turning. The leg looked like the ones Bunnies sells and was probably bought from them.

That setup led me to the following conclusion: The copy attachment doesn't work and they just proved that they havn't got a clue of woodturning!
Well so it seems anyway.

:eek:

Wood Warehouse
28th June 2005, 04:29 PM
There is a lathe dust chute manufactured here in Australia it mounted behind the lathe with a metal dust chute that if movable along a track behind the lathe it sell for $200 approx. It is available from Woodworking Warehouse in Victoria

DPB
28th June 2005, 04:44 PM
WW, welcome to this board. I assume that you represent the Woodworking Warehouse. Can you post a picture of the dust chute to which your refer?:)

JackoH
28th June 2005, 04:46 PM
That is obviously a 'posed' picture just to show what their gadget looks like. A bit like the photos in cook-books where the food depicted is pretty but usually quite inedible.
Also the ad-agency probably employed a highly paid model with nice hands,not a broken nail, scratch or wound of any sort. They clearly know very little about the art of woodturning, and wouldn't know a parting tool from a hole in the ground.
Incidentally I think that the perspex flap over the work would be a pain in the rear end and would be ripped off after about five minutes use by the average turner.

Sprog
28th June 2005, 10:41 PM
Beading and Parting Tool maybe?

DWFII
29th June 2005, 01:00 AM
I have one of those clear plastic hoods . It works pretty well considering the alternatives. I never use the hinged shield...although I haven't taken it off either...

I have several rare earth magnets (30 lb. pull) that I have epoxied to the steel bracket that is used for mounting. Covered the magnets with leather so that they wouldn't scratch the lathe and I can move the hood around pretty quickly. The hood itself is mounted to the steel angle bracket in such a way that it can be turned left or right...so that's convenient too.

Add the little fan overhead and I think you could get by without a dust mask 99% of the time...except when sanding, of course.