PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Seal

Lance
27th January 2001, 11:00 PM
I know people use wax for sealing 'green' logs. I read in a news group about a product called Anchorseal, which is kind of a paint. for the same purpose. Is this product available in Australia?

Seems like a lot less hassle, just use a paint instead of messing around melting wax.

cheers,
Lance

S Hayward
28th January 2001, 10:05 AM
Hi Lance
You can buy several wax type end sealers that don't require melting the stuff. Mobil Cer-M is one and Neil mentioned a new one a few months back that could be worth a look. The Mobil product is a bit like paint in cosistency and you simply apply with a brush. It dries in about five to ten minutes and pretty well seals off the ends of your boards. This other product may well be similar but I have not used it so can't comment. Check out somewhere like Lazarides Timber Agencies up your way. They may have something you can try.
Cheers
Shaun. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by S Hayward (edited 28 January 2001).]

jamesy
28th January 2001, 04:58 PM
Hi Lance
I contacted Mobil in Brisbane some time ago and they sold Mobil-Cer-M in bulk. It was some sort of a by-product in one of their processes. It is sold as end grain sealer by all of our turning supply companies here. It dries with a waxy/latex feel ,works exceptionally well,and a litre seams to go a long way, brushes clean easily with turps. I have been using it for years. Just slab your logs first.

Lance
28th January 2001, 09:26 PM
Righto, thanks fellas,
I'll give mobil brisbane a call..

regards,
Lance

cliff cook
4th February 2001, 11:58 PM
try this link,it`s mobil`s web page address for cer M http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/gis/MobilPDS.nsf/a381a26b79743e98625666600713461/8e...
Or go to mobil.com.au

Ivor
5th February 2001, 04:23 PM
I have been using old secondhand paint, brought from a recycling place, to seal the ends of green timber and logs. It is a really cheap alternative to the waxs and other stuff that you can buy.

The old paint seems to work well, no splits for a couple of years when airdrying some species. There may be some drawbacks to old paint but I have yet to find them.

Ivor