PDA

View Full Version : 8" Grinder

BaronJ
24th August 2014, 03:37 AM
Hi Guys,
Just updating progress on my grinder. I've now got the clamping discs made and also the reducer for the wheel hub.

323267 323268

This is the grinder and the new wheel that I bought from Abtec here in the UK. The 8" diameter wheel is a ceramic 60 grit one with a 50.8 mm (2.0") centre hole, made by "Tyrolit" who are one of the Swarovski group of companies.

323276 323269 323270 323273

These pictures show the inch thick slice off the end of a length of 303 stainless steel bar. I cut it in half with a hacksaw and faced each side to give me two 6.5 mm thick discs. These were then drilled 12 mm and then bored out to 0.5" so they are a close fit on the grinder shaft. Each disc has a 2.25" diameter 0.1" deep recess turned in one side. I also made a 4 mm thick washer to go under the securing nut.

323271 323272

Since I needed a reducer for the hub of the grinding wheel, I was going to cut a slice off the end of a 2.25" diameter nylon bar. However I came across this broken plastic castor, so I drilled out the shaft and opened the hole up to 0.5" diameter. Put it on a mandrel and turned it down to 2.0". I made it an easy push fit in the wheel.

323275 323274

At the moment there are no guards for either end of the grinder, they are the next items to be made. But they will have to wait until I can get hold of some suitable sheet steel.

Grahame Collins
24th August 2014, 11:46 AM
Baron J,
I suppose that's only a trial fit and you will be using blotter paper between the wheels and flanges?

Nice work on the flanges.
Grahame

Steamwhisperer
24th August 2014, 01:35 PM
Hi Grahame,
The blotters are on. You can see the one on the back side and the recessed side has the original.
Unless of course Baron took it off.

Phil

Anorak Bob
24th August 2014, 02:20 PM
I haven't seen the stuff since I was a kid. Do you reckon thick artist's paper would suffice?

Among the exhaustive collection of wheels that accompanied the T and C grinder, there are a number that are missing blotters.

Bob.

RayG
24th August 2014, 04:15 PM
Hi BT,

It's just ordinary copy type paper, isn't it? .... Not having ever had to make new ones, I only ever just use what comes already on the wheel... it would be interesting to find out if there's something special about it... I suspect not.

Ray

Michael G
24th August 2014, 04:32 PM
Normal copy paper wouldn't be thick enough.
The purpose of it is to even out the pressure that the flanges put on the wheel so that there is not a high local stress point.
I'd suggest something like cerial packet cardboard as it is normally softish and relatively thick.

Michael

Stustoys
24th August 2014, 06:08 PM
There is a blotter in this picture.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323275&d=1408808636

I think I'd be more worried about not being able to see any thread in this picture

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323274&d=1408808617

I'd suggest something like cerial packet cardboard as it is normally softish and relatively thick.

That or borrow one off other wheel, of course they will never fall off when you want them to lol

Stuart

BobL
24th August 2014, 10:58 PM
I used some linoleum on my 10" grinder wheels and it's worked very well for the last 7 years (ie never had to tighten the nuts). I looked at it last week when I swapped one of the wheels out and its still moderately springy.

BaronJ
25th August 2014, 06:08 AM
There is a blotter in this picture.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323275&d=1408808636

I think I'd be more worried about not being able to see any thread in this picture

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323274&d=1408808617

That or borrow one off other wheel, of course they will never fall off when you want them to lol

Stuart

Hi Stuart, Guys,
I've just spent half an hour composing a reply to find that the forum tells me that I'm not logged in, and then when I do it can't post my reply because I've just logged in ! Then hitting the back button my post is no longer there. :((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((

BaronJ
26th August 2014, 12:22 AM
HI Guys,

Now I've calmed down about my being logged out without knowing about it and loosing my last post.

Stuart mentioned the lack of visible threads at the end of the nut holding the wheel in place. The nut is 3/4" long and could do with a few millimeters taken off the length, also the washer is 4 mm thick which doesn't help. Without it the threads come right to the end of the nut.

The next job is to make guards for the wheel and the polishing mop that should go on the other end of the spindle.

Chris Parks
26th August 2014, 12:46 AM
If I write a post and think I might have a problem for some reason the first thing I do is copy it to the clipboard then when I sort it out I paste it back into the message box. I was trapped once and it won't happen again.

Stustoys
26th August 2014, 01:28 AM
I figured you hand the thread in hand Baron, but I thought I'd ask. I can see the center in the shaft now if I look closely

Don't you guys have "restore auto saved content"?
If you have a time out error you might have to "refresh" after you "back" to get it to appear.
I'm sure its forum sided and I've started posts on my pc and finished them on my tablet.
Though I guess it wont save you every time.

Stuart

BaronJ
26th August 2014, 07:31 AM
If I write a post and think I might have a problem for some reason the first thing I do is copy it to the clipboard then when I sort it out I paste it back into the message box. I was trapped once and it won't happen again.

Hi Chris,
I agree with you ! Its just happened again. I couldn't save anything that I had typed. When I refreshed the page I got the "Server Busy" message. That seems to happen a lot just of late.

I'm not the worlds best typist, I'm old and slow ! So its frustrating to spend time writing a reply and then finding that you can't post what you have written.

Anyway sorry for the rant.

BaronJ
26th August 2014, 07:34 AM
I figured you hand the thread in hand Baron, but I thought I'd ask. I can see the center in the shaft now if I look closely

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
Yes I do get that sometimes, if it works... So far it hasn't.

bollie7
26th August 2014, 08:43 AM
I cut it in half with a hacksaw and faced each side to give me two 6.5 mm thick discs.
Did you do that by hand? If so you are a lot keener than I am. I've done stuff like that before whe I was younger, but these days I would have to be really really desperate. :)

At the moment there are no guards for either end of the grinder, they are the next items to be made. But they will have to wait until I can get hold of some suitable sheet steel.
Old Microwave ovens have some nice sheet steel in the outer case that might be suitable. You can usually find a dead one on the side of the road on council cleanup weekends. (if you have that sort of thing it the UK)

Your grinder is coming up very nice by the way. Makes me want to race out and strip mine down for a repaint. That doesn't last long though. hahahah

regards
bollie7

Oldneweng
26th August 2014, 08:45 PM

If you have a time out error you might have to "refresh" after you "back" to get it to appear.
I'm sure its forum sided and I've started posts on my pc and finished them on my tablet.
Though I guess it wont save you every time.

Stuart

Where do you find "restore auto saved content"? I haven't seen it, but I have not had any need for it since the auto save started.

Dean

BaronJ
27th August 2014, 06:49 AM
Where do you find "restore auto saved content"? I haven't seen it, but I have not had any need for it since the auto save started.

Dean

Hi Dean,
It only seems to appear down at the bottom just above "Post Icons" in that grey bar, and only when the server can't deal with your post straight away.

BaronJ
27th August 2014, 07:09 AM
Hi Bollie7,

Did you do that by hand? If so you are a lot keener than I am. I've done stuff like that before whe I was younger, but these days I would have to be really really desperate. :)

Yes ! I won't say I was desperate but it was something that I wanted to get on with and not having a power hacksaw, well an 18 tooth blade and a little "Temaxol" and persistence. The XYL had a good chelp at me for doing it, though I admit I can see her point of view. :)

Old Microwave ovens have some nice sheet steel in the outer case that might be suitable. You can usually find a dead one on the side of the road on council cleanup weekends. (if you have that sort of thing it the UK)

No the council have dumps that you are obliged to take your electrical gear to for proper disposal. In any case the material used for the case is nowhere near thick enough to use for the guard of an 8 inch wheel. I've got a 4 foot square sheet of 2 mm thick plate that I intend to use as soon as I can get around to it.

Your grinder is coming up very nice by the way. Makes me want to race out and strip mine down for a repaint. That doesn't last long though. hahahah

regards
bollie7

Thankyou for the compliment. Myford green ! Or that is what the colour is supposed to be.